Cali Kid Corals

QT and Medication

Hey Everyone,

So I picked up two fish the other week (Coral Beauty & Christmas Wrasse) and have had them in QT since I got them. About a week ago I noticed the angel to start getting Ich, so I treated with Rid Ich+ (was available at the LFS).

Directions say keep treating until you haven't seen Ich on them for 4 (or 5 days). Well I have not seen Ich on the angel for about a day or two now (I'm not 100% sure I saw ich on the wrasse, but I think I did), but the angel's eye has become very hazy today and will not come out of his piping.

The Christmas wrasse shows no signs of anything. and is doing great.

I have read that you can use Rid Ich + with Maracyn Two.

Now should I treat the tank with the christmas wrasse in there too or should I try and move the wrasse to another tank? I have other tanks I can set up, just none of them are "cycled" so that might be even worse?

Suggest starting here:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

OPINION:
Cupramine and hypo-salinity are the best cures for marine Ich.
Rid Ich is a scam. Those directions alone kinda prove it.

Suggest reading up on the web as above, and more.
In particular, understand the life cycle of ich.
That will show what a pain it is to treat, and why waiting 4-5 days is a joke.

Both fish are likely infected, but one is handling it much better.
If easy, separating them is a good idea. It will reduce the attack on the still healthy fish.

A lot of people (myself included) basically give up on treatment, and just make sure fish are
fed well and have great water quality. Let their immune system fight it.
The treatment can be hard on the fish as well, and is easy to get wrong.

Oh I agree Rid Ich+ isn't that great. I was "hopeful" that maybe it killed the ich or injured them enough for them to fall off his body which would allow me to transfer him into a "clean" system where there was no ich to get back on him. I just got Cupramine in yesterday from Marine Depot (along with some other stuff) so I do plan on switching to that soon.

Seperating just is difficult as the other tank isn't setup, it won't have a filter on it, etc. Is Maracyn Two ok to put in the tank if the one fish is healthy? I'd have to imagine it is.

I certainly understanding giving up. That's how my DT is. I know that Ich was in the system and it's probably there still... just the fish are healthy enough to fight it off (plus I run UV).

Key : The Ich "trophonts" are the white things you see.
They stay on the fish for 3-7 days, then fall off. Regardless of what you do or don't do.
That is why so many medications seem to work great, when they are actually doing nothing.

Maracyn Two is a broad spectrum antibiotic. It will do nothing to parasites like Ich.

If you are doing it for the cloudy eye, I guess there is a chance that it is bacterial.
But since you already diagnosed Ich, and Ich can cause cloudy eyes, my bet is that
is more likely the issue.

There are mixed opinions on if it kills your biofilter. Watch ammonia carefully if you use it.

Should be fine for the fish themselves.

PS: At least feel good about doing QT.
Getting Ich on a new fish or two in QT sucks.
Having it wipe out a lot of your main tank, because you were going on vacation
and skimped on QT, is a whole lot worse. (From direct experience):oops:

Good for you doing QT!

There are other options. I hate copper. It's real easy to OD and if you don't use enough it doesn't work! I've been QTing with chloroquine phosphate. I don't wait for symptoms. I always treat. I also do at least one round of PraziPro for internal parasites.

There is a rather long thread about it at:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2136214

Also on Reef Central look at the fish disease forum. Better get to reading there's a quiz on Saturday! :)

If you aren't into doing the drugs (for the fish, of course!), there has been lots of success with the tank transfer method. Also on RC!

I'd also recomend using Chloroquine Phosphate instead of the copper. You can get some here and you'll have it in a few days. http://kmaintl.com/product-category/misc

You may want to ping kmaintl here and ask him about using CP and an antibilotic simultaneously. I think that CP is an antibiotic, so it might not be nescessary.

You will have to treat both fish for the full duration since they went into quaratine together and are both possibly infected.

I have a single 20 gallon dose of CP if you want to start immediately, I'm in SF.

Good to hear some local people are having real luck with Chloroquine Phosphate.
I was following the buzz about that in 2012, but it seemed to fade off in 2013.

Back