Kessil

Question for wrasse folks

TLDR: I dropped a new wrasse into my tank last Sunday. Haven't seen it since. Any tips to coax it out of sand or just wait?

Last Sunday I picked up a Bay Bridge Aquarium kole tang I had on order. Beautiful fish cared for by @MichaelW 's crew for a couple months thru QT, microscopy testing, whole nine yards. Worth the wait.

While in the shop I picked up a wrasse from their ready-to-go tank. Michael told me at the time what it was. In one ear, out other. Fairy wrasse, I think. Didn't bother to write it down--figured I'd get it home, do some Google image searching based on what I saw, and ID it then.

Haven't seen the fish since it entered the tank! Buried itself pronto. Probably hadn't seen sand in quite awhile while in QT.

Fairy wrasses don’t hide in the sand, so if it is hiding it is in the rocks. Could have jumped into the overflow if you have one, they are notorious jumpers

If it’s alive, it will emerge when it’s ready
Did anything chase it into the sand?
Are there other wrasses there first?
And, hope there is a lid or screen top...they make poor life choices (but only once)

Hope your tank has pods for it to eat
If it’s alive, it will emerge when it’s ready
Did anything chase it into the sand?
Are there other wrasses there first?
And, hope there is a lid or screen top...they make poor life choices (but only once)

There are pods. Small ones.

Nothing chased it -- no real threats. No other wrasses. Yes: lid. Learned the hard way. Not in overflow--would be tough to get into this one--but anything's possible.

What I'm gathering is even if I have the ability to stir the sand just don't. Let it be.

Just let it be
Feed frequently: blood worms, mysis shrimp
Also
Is the tank near a heavy traffic area of your residence: lots of footsteps and door closing?
Or near a washer dryer?

Fish feel everything!

True... hadn't thought of traffic noise. That could be part of it, though not too heavy traffic. And thanks for the food suggestions.

What I won't do, from what I'm gathering here from everyone, is rake through the sand. Let it be.

True... hadn't thought of traffic noise. That could be part of it, though not too heavy traffic. And thanks for the food suggestions.

What I won't do, from what I'm gathering here from everyone, is rake through the sand. Let it be.

I have a melanurus that hid beneath the sand for two full months. I started adding extra garlic oil and dimmed the lighting and there he was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! That's a long time. Okay. Thanks for the garlic oil tip -- I haven't used that as a supplement yet. Will explore instead of raking through the sand with a stick. (kidding -- though have been tempted.)

Wow! That's a long time. Okay. Thanks for the garlic oil tip -- I haven't used that as a supplement yet. Will explore instead of raking through the sand with a stick. (kidding -- though have been tempted.)
Honestly check the late hours after lights out or a couple hours before lights on. In the early weeks of hiding this is your best time to hopefully see them as they do come out to eat everyday just very briefly.

Back