Our mission

Recommendations for nano HOB skimmer

I need to add a nano hang-on-back skimmer to my 32.5 gallon. With Black Friday coming up I wanted to take advantage of sales. I am having trouble landing on a brand or even the appropriate size. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

I’ve seen some pretty decent aquamaxx ones

Thanks for the recommendation. I was checking out the AquaMaxx HOB-1.5 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer.

It has a Filtration Rating: up to 75 Gallons (light bioload) or 40 Gallons (heavy bioload). In your opinion, would that be to big of a system?

Not sure but if you can fit an Icecap k1 Nano skinner id recommend that. It’s been doing great for my Nano. If you need a hang in back I’d for sure go with the aquamaxx

I’ve ran almost all nano/hob skimmers over the years of nano reefing. The aquamaxx 1.5 is a beast and a half and does the job very well. It’s also quiet and has an overflow feature where if the skimmer overflows it just goes back into the tank and not on the floor .

I’ve ran almost all nano/hob skimmers over the years of nano reefing. The aquamaxx 1.5 is a beast and a half and does the job very well. It’s also quiet and has an overflow feature where if the skimmer overflows it just goes back into the tank and not on the floor .

Sounds like I got a winner! I appreciate the recommendation

I just got a brand new Aquamax hob 1.5 with the bubble stopper. Out of the box it needs an air restricter. After a week restricter was removed. It's a bit loud for my taste. The IM Nuvo nano skimmer is silent and good. Same with Tunze 9001 and 9004. However I was unable to dial in the Tunze.

Last edited:
Bubble stopper and air restricter

FE52D198-9D07-47FD-82BA-F01F5A104CFA.jpeg
18F69956-0ECF-4D3D-9CAF-EBA1FC90B7C4.jpeg

Back