Jestersix

Reef Expertise? Rate yourself out of 10!

I would kinda say not brand new, but definitely not as knowledgeable as others here. So more kinda middle of the road.

Coral Growing Skills4
Coral ID5
Experience / Knowledge4.5-5
Photo Skills6
Fragging5
Coral Growing Skills2
Coral ID2
Experience Knowledge2
Photo Skills0
Fragging2
ALRIGHT.. WE DON'T HAVE TO BE THAT HUMBLE... I KNOW IT's DEFINITELY A LOT HIGHER

IMO "Coral Growing Skills" and "Experience/Knowledge" should just be combined into "Results" :)

So for me:

Results: 4
Photo Skills: 3
Fragging: 1
Coral ID: 2

Years ago I asked a question on this board and got what I now know couldn't be the correct answer.

What percentage of corals that you place in your tanks die within a year? Two years? Five years? 10+ years?

Years ago I asked a question on this board and got what I now know couldn't be the correct answer.

What percentage of corals that you place in your tanks die within a year? Two years? Five years? 10+ years?

You’ll never get the right answer unless someone actually documented/logged every coral they’ve ever purchased and it’s status which I highly doubt anyone has actually done. I’d guess the actually percentage of death under 1 year is pretty high, especially acro and torch fans.

You’re probably better off asking what the longest/oldest corals are that people have had or currently had.

You’ll never get the right answer unless someone actually documented/logged every coral they’ve ever purchased and it’s status which I highly doubt anyone has actually done. I’d guess the actually percentage of death under 1 year is pretty high, especially acro and torch fans.

You’re probably better off asking what the longest/oldest corals are that people have had or currently had.
I know. It's why when I asked the question 10+ years ago and got the answer that almost no one ever had anything die when they put it in their tank the first few months I just rolled my eyes and moved on. :)

I know. It's why when I asked the question 10+ years ago and got the answer that almost no one ever had anything die when they put it in their tank the first few months I just rolled my eyes and moved on. :)
Well, we do have one way we to track coral success from adding a frag, growing it, and having enough to share it- DBTC completed chains in BARCode. If you look at it this way, people’s success rate is very very low, like single digits.

its hard to rate yourself. I have very limited knowledge, but somehow found a system that work (for the time being). I can success growing sps but don;t ask me any questions. I understand basic corals needs (light spectrum, basic chemistry, flow), but the rest is 'cross your finger and hope for the best'. When in doubt, massive water change seems to work for me.

Coral Growing Skills3
Coral ID1
Experience / Knowledge2
Photo Skills0
Fragging1

Back