Cali Kid Corals

Reef Hobbyist 40B

Everything is really beautiful, Nav! Your flower nem and acans are HUGE! What is pink front center on sand?!
Thanks Geneva. The pink one in the absolute center is a frag of Pink Passion Zoa that I got from Diablo (they more look like Palys). Got a single polyp, now 3 nice heads and the 4th sprouting! Here's a closeup:

a.JPG

The one to its right is a 7 eye Pink Boobie Chalice (pretty expensive), its almost bleeding out of its frag (mounted on a piece of rock now). Here's a pic from Sep 1st:

PBC.png

...and to the right of your ricordea's and left of the pink zoa's, what is that on the sand - a torch or Duncans or ?? Is your goby a good sand sifter and do you enjoy watching it work?!

Yup, its a mini Aussie Duncan colony

tumblr_n9tlnpkiFf1tbt0zro5_1280.jpg

Is your goby a good sand sifter and do you enjoy watching it work?!
The goby is doing a great job in sifting sand everywhere. Great character, he also started picking stuff from my rocks, doesn't disturb any coral and very very innocent guy (he was the one who got stuck in my siphon tube a few weeks ago).

Two problems with him:
1) I have to target feed him once every few days (cos he doesn't come up top to grab pellets from my auto feeder)
2) He spits sand on all coral sitting on my sand bed (which is why my scoly and pink boobie chalice are mounted on rocks now)

I buy the sinking pellets that then get sifted from the sand....did you buy the Duncan colony the way it looks now or has it multiplied? Looks great!​

I buy the sinking pellets that then get sifted from the sand....did you buy the Duncan colony the way it looks now or has it multiplied? Looks great!​
My pellets are sinking ones too but my other fish (especially big clown) just grabs everything before even a single pellet hits the sand! The Duncan is a slow grower but many new heads have popped since I got it.

Last week I went on a 5 day business trip and was happy things were ok with the tank when I was back.

I had most of it covered (auto feeder, ATO, light cycle) other than dosing Alk, Cal & Fuel. The awesome thing I did that was helpful was to setup a remote cam to monitor the tank.

I found an app called AtHome Camera that could be setup on a laptop to broadcast video feed via one or more web cams & an iOS app that could stream video (with audio).

tumblr_inline_ne6dfcGfjL1sc62k6.jpg

I setup the laptop facing a perspective full tank angle of the tank and an additional USB can that I hung on to get a closer view of the feeding area (my auto feeder drops pellets into a floating ring).

tumblr_inline_ne6dfyutmn1sc62k6.jpg

Video quality was not the greatest but a very good alternate to spending $$$ on an expensive monitoring system.

Next month I have a 3 week biz trip to Singapore and really worried if the system will make it!

Picked up 2 Acros from Neptune Aquatics, not sure of the names (ID pls). They’re placed in the center top of the tank close to the lights…

tumblr_nehy3qIN9p1tbt0zro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nehy3qIN9p1tbt0zro2_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Some pinks under full actinics. Super pop! :)

Rock flower anemone (from the VIP group buy) almost 3.5"
tumblr_nejorpFEEt1tbt0zro1_1280.jpg

Pink passion paly... 4 large polyps and 2 more babies growing
tumblr_nejorpFEEt1tbt0zro2_1280.jpg

Received my Jebao DP-4 a few days ago. Setup & config was a breeze, I’m monitoring dosing volumes for the next few days with RO water until confident the doser can take over my daily dosing.

tumblr_inline_neu6slGdxf1sc62k6.jpg

Wow great growth on the Monti! What camera settings do you use to shoot under actinics?
Tyler, they're shot under Kessil 100% Blue, 20% White on a Nikon D80, 105mm Macro, 1/60s - f8 - ISO3200 - WB 9900k.

Also I use an orange filter for red toned corals.

Nav - beautiful pictures. I know this is dumb but are you shooting through glass and / or from the top through water with a special attachment like they do at fish stores online? I can't tell but are you getting any purple coralline on your rocks yet? Again, beautiful tank and beautiful pictures!!

Back