got ethical husbandry?

Refugium (adequate size)

L/B Block

Supporting Member
So my question of the day is -what size refugium or size of a reactor do you really need to be effective. I saw some posting the other day it should be 20% of DT. Most sumps that come up with tanks are ~20% I have seen-and you certainly not going to be to utilize all of that space given areas for return pump chamber, intake, etc etc.

Right I have a small jar with some sea lettuce more to house copepods than anything else.

Just curious to those that have refugiums or reactors -what percentage water is dedicated to micro algae relative to DT.

Thanks

As much as you can would be my wise ass but honest answer. Really depends your goals. Nitrate reduction? More light and more algae is more reduction. How much do you need to reduce nitrate? How high is it in your tank, and how much are you regularly adding? Mostly depends on amount of fish and food

As much as you can would be my wise ass but honest answer. Really depends your goals. Nitrate reduction? More light and more algae is more reduction. How much do you need to reduce nitrate? How high is it in your tank, and how much are you regularly adding? Mostly depends on amount of fish and food
It’s not a wise ass answer at all. Some of the sump was removed for the roller mat-i think I can still use the partition wall but it still leaves a lot of unused space by the protein skimmer.
Also I may decide to drill holes to allow water to pass through so that the sea lettuce doesn’t block the weir and cause massive issues like the last time.

Nitrates are ok. Last checked over weekend -at 10 but back to nopox to bring back down to 5 or so and hopefully bring po4 down a bit more-last at 1.2- That’s my bigger problem and hence the question of how big you need that refugium.

It’s not a wise ass answer at all. Some of the sump was removed for the roller mat-i think I can still use the partition wall but it still leaves a lot of unused space by the protein skimmer.
Also I may decide to drill holes to allow water to pass through so that the sea lettuce doesn’t block the weir and cause massive issues like the last time.

Nitrates are ok. Last checked over weekend -at 10 but back to nopox to bring back down to 5 or so and hopefully bring po4 down a bit more-last at 1.2- That’s my bigger problem and hence the question of how big you need that refugium.
10 is fine. Don’t go lower. Especially if you have high phosphate. I’d use gfo or something like that to lower the phosphates. Ime macro algae uses more nitrate than phosphate.

10 is fine. Don’t go lower. Especially if you have high phosphate. I’d use gfo or something like that to lower the phosphates. Ime macro algae uses more nitrate than phosphate.
Agreed, I never had a problem with nitrates but was constantly battling high po4 (0.3+).

One tip, if you’re able, is to have the refugium before your skimmer section. I did this to maximize as much volume as I could for the fuge. If you have the skimmer first then your fuge is limited by the water level your skimmer sits at.

good to know about nitrate vs phosphate absorption of microalgae.

But curious-so Red Sea recommends nitrates at ~2 (using nopox) but you are recommending to keep around 10. What do you see the difference being-and yes I’ll take your advice over theirs..

GFO it might just be. Chemistry (solutions) vs biology (chaeto) always seem to work better for me..

Agreed, I never had a problem with nitrates but was constantly battling high po4 (0.3+).

One tip, if you’re able, is to have the refugium before your skimmer section. I did this to maximize as much volume as I could for the fuge. If you have the skimmer first then your fuge is limited by the water level your skimmer sits at.
Duly noted! Thanks for the tip

It kinda depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
But the long and short...as big as you can
And the larger the better
And ideally it flows directly into the DT rather than the sump

good to know about nitrate vs phosphate absorption of microalgae.

But curious-so Red Sea recommends nitrates at ~2 (using nopox) but you are recommending to keep around 10. What do you see the difference being-and yes I’ll take your advice over theirs..

GFO it might just be. Chemistry (solutions) vs biology (chaeto) always seem to work better for me..
2 is too close to zero for comfort for me. I also see no benefit to keeping it that low. It’s not that 10-20 is “better” but it’s just fine. Certainly not too high. It’s isn’t broken, don’t try to “fix” it.
What type corals are you trying to keep mostly?

2 is too close to zero for comfort for me. I also see no benefit to keeping it that low. It’s not that 10-20 is “better” but it’s just fine. Certainly not too high. It’s isn’t broken, don’t try to “fix” it.
What type corals are you trying to keep mostly?
Fair enough. Mostly lps but some sps as well. I just switched over the feeding system -so without the device not dumping half the container on occasion nitrates should remain consistently lower.
they got to 30, nopox did it’s job got it to 5 and then I stopped dosing. Will stop and monitor and see if it stays around 10-15. Time to get some gfo and get those phosphates down though

Back