Cali Kid Corals

Replacing GFO

In their tank journal @Coral reefer mentioned using two reactors and changing one every two weeks. Do you still do that mike? That sounds like a good way to reduce the impact of adding it all at once.

In their tank journal @Coral reefer mentioned using two reactors and changing one every two weeks. Do you still do that mike? That sounds like a good way to reduce the impact of adding it all at once.
Not any more. I went to a larger reactor when I went to the 225 gal, but I have considered going back to staggering two smaller ones recently.

Not any more. I went to a larger reactor when I went to the 225 gal, but I have considered going back to staggering two smaller ones recently.

What would you do if you put a fresh batch of rowaphos in a reactor and its output was testing at the same level for phosphate as the display tank at 5 minutes and 2 hours later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would you do if you put a fresh batch of rowaphos in a reactor and its output was testing at the same level for phosphate as the display tank at 5 minutes and 2 hours later?

Unless the.media is depleted or it was dry put of the package (which meams media is very old or was not stored properly)
The output Water must have less po4 than the input..

Last edited:

Unless the.media is depleted or it was dry put of the package (which meams media is very old or was not stored properly)
The output Waterston have less po4 than the input..
What type of reactor? Did you do this? Maybe the water is not being directed through the media?the two little fishies one seems like it could have that problem here the top part of the internal tube meets the main part of the connection wasn’t very tight.
Omar is correct that shouldn’t Be happening so I would investigate how it could be happening.

The output Water must have less po4 than the input..

My thoughts exactly. The rowaphos feels moist to me still. I always store it with the extra plastic lid inside the screw on cap.

I have replaced this rowaphos about 4 times over the past 3 days now. Output continues to be within testing error of Hanna ULR Phosphrus around 45-48ppb.

+[mention]Coral reefer [/mention]

6b11f2fbfa0d83fcf9658c3ad060cf48.jpg

My thoughts exactly. The rowaphos feels moist to me still. I always store it with the extra plastic lid inside the screw on cap.

I have replaced this rowaphos about 4 times over the past 3 days now. Output continues to be within testing error of Hanna ULR Phosphrus around 45-48ppb.

+[mention]Coral reefer [/mention]

6b11f2fbfa0d83fcf9658c3ad060cf48.jpg

Man are you sure water is indeed going through the media not just around it? I cannot tell from your picture..

The rowaphos is gently tumbling. It looks to be going through the media.

Wow. Its even tumbling more than I would want..
I think you might be having too much flow. You need some dewilling time for the water thru the media..
Reduce the flow such that inly top layer of the media tumble gently.. currently its too much flow rate..

also you are sure your measurements is correct?
What are u measuring before and after?

For sure lower the flow thu..

Wow. Its even tumbling more than I would want..
I think you might be having too much flow. You need some dewilling time for the water thru the media..
Reduce the flow such that inly top layer of the media tumble gently.. currently its too much flow rate..

also you are sure your measurements is correct?
What are u measuring before and after?

For sure lower the flow thu..

I’ll try to turn down the flow and check it out. Pretty confident in the measurements. I take extra care with the phosphorus procedure.

Thanks for the help.

Your results could be explained by too high of a flow rate through the reactor. It might only have time to deplete an amount less than the error of the test during the couple seconds it makes 1 pass through the media.

Heading over to Hayward later today to snag a ball valve to reduce the flow through it. Phosphates are down about 15ppb from yesterday but the effluent of the reactor is still reading similar to the display. I will let you know shortly :)

Back