got ethical husbandry?

Return pump speed

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
I am using the return pump below for a 150-gallon tank at 80% speed. Is this too fast for the tank?

I am trying to track down my HLLE issues of the yellow tang, and one reason I have been told could be the speed at which water runs through the sump where the GAC has been (I have already removed the carbon for several weeks, and HLLE has improved (not a food issue and no stray voltage). I will need to readd this though ASAP due to the ozone and already ordered Rox 0.8 (BRS, oh my), but will reduce the amount.

IMG_1911.jpeg

How do you use the carbon? In a media bag? I def do not like water like a drain hose blasting carbon media. Seems like it can break it apart depending on the type of carbon and how hard the stream of water is

How do you use the carbon? In a media bag? I def do not like water like a drain hose blasting carbon media. Seems like it can break it apart depending on the type of carbon and how hard the stream of water is
Yes, within a media bag under the filter floss before filter ‘socks’ (I am not using socks but these reef diapers).

I never thought of the stream from the drain being very strong, but it seems like this is an issue. For the new carbon I ordered, I am planning to have this on the water outlet from the skimmer, and much less than previously (25g vs 150g). I'm not quite sure how to add this, though, in this area, but I will figure it out, hopefully.

I only need carbon for the ozone; a smaller amount will do.

Unfortunately, I do not know. Rox 0.8 should be ok though?
Should be, really low dust in my experience. Huge pain to rinse and put into a reactor or bag without making a mess. They're super small pellets and get everywhere unless you let them fully dry plus make sure the pores of the bag are small. Probably better to rinse in a bag first before putting into the tank.

Should be, really low dust in my experience. Huge pain to rinse and put into a reactor or bag without making a mess. They're super small pellets and get everywhere unless you let them fully dry plus make sure the pores of the bag are small. Probably better to rinse in a bag first before putting into the tank.
Almost don’t need to rinse those with what little comes out compared to most others I’ve tried. There are some that are like pelletized and super clean too

Back