Our mission

Rock Question

I have live rock in my tank and it's been up just over a year. My rocks have those little spiny snails that secrete mucas to feed. I'm getting 50lbs or rock tomorrow from Marco. How many current live rocks can I remove and replace with the uncured rock and not affect the chemistry of the tank?

I would like to completely replace my current rock.

Thanks!

If the reason why you’re doing this is to try to eliminate vermetid snails from your system, I would advise you not to try. It is nearly impossible to keep vermetid from your system. Many have tried, and I have yet to meet anyone who has kept them out.

The good news for me is that with time they seem to be receding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have live rock in my tank and it's been up just over a year. My rocks have those little spiny snails that secrete mucas to feed. I'm getting 50lbs or rock tomorrow from Marco. How many current live rocks can I remove and replace with the uncured rock and not affect the chemistry of the tank?

I would like to completely replace my current rock.

Thanks!
sounds like a lot of work for little reason..... those snails dont do a whole lot

If the reason why you’re doing this is to try to eliminate vermetid snails from your system, I would advise you not to try. It is nearly impossible to keep vermetid from your system. Many have tried, and I have yet to meet anyone who has kept them out.

I'd agree with this. You can't avoid them and it also seems for me that they eventually dwindled in numbers.

If you're planning on still putting in that new rock, my preference would be to cure/cycle in a separate bin rather than risk a cycle in your tank.

I would agree to a point, but the amount he has Ian otter the overwhelming. Like totally covered.

I just had a thought, if i most of my DT rock and place it in the sump, i could still have the filtration benefit while my marco rocks cure or whatever it's called. They won't cycle, because their manufactured and not mined. Correct?? They shouldn't create any ammonia

Back