Jestersix

RODI Water Storage

Teague75

Supporting Member
The problem with bins is they are square, not a great shape for holding fluid. The long sides will bow and can eventually fail. If you make some kind of support frame to maintain its shape, it will probably do fine.

Well I know the rubbermaid "brute" trashcans are a tried and trusted product. The material hasn't caused any unsafe water conditions as far as I've ever read about.
My suggest though, is to use a brute ROUND garbage can instead of that square storage box. The sides will bulge out on that box because it's not made for holding water.

Something like this, for 20 gallons

I have one that has been holding sand for years. You can still take the lid on and off and it has not deformed.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey Randy,
How do you get the water out? Do you have spigot on the bottom?

I’m old school.

1675275011179.gif

Do a search for mixing stations and you’ll see many people have built stand or use shelves and add a uniseal with a spout/valve.

I use the black home depot square containers which are a similar footprint for my rodi. The sides bulge a bit when it is full, the the top of the bin has a large amount of plastic which holds the shape well and I have not had any issues for 3 plus years using it.

I use a smaller, 2 gallon bucket to dump water into a 5 gallon. I also installed a water spigot at the base for filling my alk mixing containers, but it is a slow pour compared to what I want for filling a 5 gallon bucket.

I plumbed up a couple of those brutes for @Jonathan Chia with ball valves and 90°s on the bottom. I thought it made a pretty decent mixing station/storage.

One thing with a spigot is that make sure it's not metal.

Thank you for the help. I went with a 32 galLon Rubbermaid from Home Depot and a rain drain 3/4” pvc bulk head and valve. I ordered a floating shut off valve from BRS, should be here in a couple of days.
42F1181D-B886-4407-BA64-2C579C73326F.jpeg

Back