Our mission

Ryan’s New 40G Setup mixed reef

I would have cut it from 40 to maybe 35 and seen what happened. Small changes. I usually only like to change 1-2 ml at a time.

Yes this is my first time dosing with a doser and it raised from 8->10.5 relatively quickly so I was afraid I’d gotten the first one way off.

My plan was to monitor the consumption daily but with no childcare and a newborn that obviously didn’t happen!!!

Will be slowly raising to stabilize hopefully around 8 or 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty bummed about the tank. To be fair having a newborn takes time and sleep away but the tank has struggled.

Dosing I though I had right - raising alk from a low of 6.5 last time to 9.1 last week. The meteor shower began to recover

but now with the same dosing and a reef crystal water change it’s down to 7.4.

I’m sure that the alk swings aren’t helping and most of my frags from @ofzakaria are really struggling. The green and yellow one is disintegrating even though it seemed to be doing well.

The only thing that has changed is that I’ve stopped feeding as much because of algae—but I have a hard time believing that would cause the drastic changes I’ve seen. Also because I’m dosing reef AB daily into the tank.

Some pics so folks can see what’s happened.

1aaf828e1df2685497be304bce40c3e5.jpg

3bb959deb2a1f2a4fbeacdfdecc2b519.jpg

176f094d3ef8d9b9c9d1d2b1c94b35ac.jpg

2f2e2b0bf3cd3237c65c57ef0766e9c8.jpg

090d8fbc708becb37d995fdf421fe19d.jpg

1f6907921d45f539b6c879449389a3bf.jpg

I know that in principle. In practice with 2 kids it’s quite difficult, especially since the chemicals aren’t exactly toddler friendly.

Did the daily test early in January and calibrated so it was going up .1-.2 a day so was very surprised to see it drop so much.

Anything other than would cause the discoloration and disintegration of that green frag?

Pretty bummed about the tank. To be fair having a newborn takes time and sleep away but the tank has struggled.

Dosing I though I had right - raising alk from a low of 6.5 last time to 9.1 last week. The meteor shower began to recover

but now with the same dosing and a reef crystal water change it’s down to 7.4.

I’m sure that the alk swings aren’t helping and most of my frags from @ofzakaria are really struggling. The green and yellow one is disintegrating even though it seemed to be doing well.

The only thing that has changed is that I’ve stopped feeding as much because of algae—but I have a hard time believing that would cause the drastic changes I’ve seen. Also because I’m dosing reef AB daily into the tank.

Some pics so folks can see what’s happened.

1aaf828e1df2685497be304bce40c3e5.jpg

3bb959deb2a1f2a4fbeacdfdecc2b519.jpg

176f094d3ef8d9b9c9d1d2b1c94b35ac.jpg

2f2e2b0bf3cd3237c65c57ef0766e9c8.jpg

090d8fbc708becb37d995fdf421fe19d.jpg

1f6907921d45f539b6c879449389a3bf.jpg

Not sure where you live but if you live close to me or Mike, you can take your raja rampage to one of us until this settle. The raja chalice is not common amd expensive. It would. shame to see it waste away..
Other than that its ok, just test everything and make sure you identify the rootcause. I can fill your tank up again when time comes. Do not worry..

Not sure where you live but if you live close to me or Mike, you can take your raja rampage to one of us until this settle. The raja chalice is not common amd expensive. It would. shame to see it waste away..
Other than that its ok, just test everything and make sure you identify the rootcause. I can fill your tank up again when time comes. Do not worry..
I am in SF - super happy to bring it to Mike. It was actually doing the best out of all of the frags, and the bennett tort was struggling and the red one was in the middle.

Now the Yellow Tort seems to be doing the best, the red is losing color and the Raja chalice is disintegrating.

@Coral reefer shoot me a text if you want me to drop the chalice by tomorrow or next week.

I am in SF - super happy to bring it to Mike. It was actually doing the best out of all of the frags, and the bennett tort was struggling and the red one was in the middle.

Now the Yellow Tort seems to be doing the best, the red is losing color and the Raja chalice is disintegrating.

@Coral reefer shoot me a text if you want me to drop the chalice by tomorrow or next week.
The tort is indestructible lol.
Chalice is hardy but not as much.
I would leave it up to you to judge, its your coral. And ofcourse to mike if he is willing.
Am just letting you know, i doubt this chalice will come by again easy. It took me 6 months on Jason fox's waiting list to get a frag..this chalice directly from his original colony.

Totally. I haven’t lost a frag I’ve put in this tank yet. Even stuff that was looking bad (eg the bizarro) has turned around. Even if things don’t grow they stay mostly stable.

Definitely don’t want to lose the frag so if anyone else can come pick it up LMK.

Totally. I haven’t lost a frag I’ve put in this tank yet. Even stuff that was looking bad (eg the bizarro) has turned around. Even if things don’t grow they stay mostly stable.

Definitely don’t want to lose the frag so if anyone else can come pick it up LMK.

Do not give it to anybody. My advice is either to mike or myself. Cause both our systems hold this chalice successfully

Do not give it to anybody. My advice is either to mike or myself. Cause both our systems hold this chalice successfully

Gotcha. ‘Anybody’ wasn’t exactly the plan but since y’all’s systems already have it let me make sure it’s one of you two.

Gotcha. ‘Anybody’ wasn’t exactly the plan but since y’all’s systems already have it let me make sure it’s one of you two.

Do not stress too much, if you list things it happens. Alk swings are really bad to many coral.
But yeh it happens. Am building another batch and will send a distribution forum to folks some time soon. Will get you more.

65e68e1543c29ebf86a208f82715e118.jpg

Not on sand. In middle of tank. You can see it right of the giant frogspawn and below left of the green one.

I meant s picture of the chalice.
You can move it to the side of the tank so less flow and less light. Do not have it shaded, just move it to the side of the tank and see in a day or 2 how it will look.

Moved - update. Not getting better, but not getting worse.

Will keep folks posted through the weekend with any changes.

Back