Reef nutrition

Saying hello - been 10 years since I moved to Philly

kvosstra

Hope everyone is well! thinking of setting up a tang again and its really hard in Philly! NY is a long drive, same with CT, and there are not many reefers around to trade with.
Curious if anyone still has some of my old corals in this group?
Also, since its been so long, what is the new SPS craze, including colors and patterns?
Hope you are all well! -Kyle

JVU

BOD
Staff member
Hi! Nice to have a prior member pop in.

If you want to see what is today’s craze in SPS world you can see what is selling for exorbitant prices on WWC or other websites :)

RandyC

Supporting Member
Hope everyone is well! thinking of setting up a tang again and its really hard in Philly! NY is a long drive, same with CT, and there are not many reefers around to trade with.
Also, since its been so long, what is the new SPS craze, including colors and patterns?

I'd say if you want the craze, hyped, Uber expensive acros, look at SBB & BKChem (Facebook only).

Coral reefer

BOD
Staff member
Not sure which corals you used to have. Might still be around. I’m sure we could send you a box if you paid for shipping.

kvosstra

That is incredibly generous - always was a great group - I dont even have a tank yet! So that's a bit premature!
I was thinking mostly of this one - (post from reefcentral) that I called the raspberry prostrata. (very furry pink coral in back right) - I gave some away, but also it was being sold from a few frags last I remember.

Susan Ingram

Supporting Member

From the Philly area myself. Where in/around the city are you located?

kvosstra

Susan, I'm in the western suburbs (Gladwyne). I dont yet have a backup generator, so that's an issue as we do lose power almost every year. I have a bid for a new solar panel system and 2 battery backups, as I'd just need to make sure heat is on and minimal pumps running!

Susan Ingram

Supporting Member
Susan, I'm in the western suburbs (Gladwyne). I dont yet have a backup generator, so that's an issue as we do lose power almost every year. I have a bid for a new solar panel system and 2 battery backups, as I'd just need to make sure heat is on and minimal pumps running!
No doubt on that! My family is still in Willow Grove and my mom's parents grew up in Conshohocken. I want to get a battery backup for my solar as well.
Great to meet you!

kvosstra

well, some updates 3-months later - tank is not yet moved from its prior location. We've had a lot of snow here in Philly as well as ice, so my construction crew has been delayed at least 6 weeks for installing some supports in the basement for the new tank.
Tank is going to be in-wall 120x36x30 - and I will put support stuff in the basement -
Lights are AI Hydra 52HD - X10, with a pair of mp40's and pair of mp60s - may need more flow at some point (I hope! based on coral growth).
here is the tank in its current (very dirty form) -
goal is to start quarantine on fish in next few weeks - rocks will also go through a quarantine (to remove junk corals - (pocillapora, i'm looking at you!) and to also add some peppermint shrimp to attack the aiptasia on the rock. Tank will sit fallow for 45 days to ensure removal of parasites - as we have confirmed some parasites are present in the tank.
Corals will get dipped and review for anything in there (should not be...but we will check none-the less).

As soon as basement is done, I can use some paper/cardboard to map out the placement of frag tank, skimmer, CA Rx, etc. Then work on plumbing plans and then get the materials to build into the wall...lots to do!

but hopefully about 3 months from now, tank will be up with fish and corals back - and I can really get started on obtaining corals and growing!

Hope you all are well.
-Kyle

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 24

Coral reefer

BOD
Staff member
Wow. Awesome!
I think more than 45 days may be required for parasites. Not an expert by any means tho.
Not sure any of your dbtc stuff you started is left anymore, but maybe we can send you a box when you’re up and ready? Let me know.