High Tide Aquatics

Shawn's 114 Gallon AF OceanGuard 605

Island Reef

Supporting Member

Intro​

I just hit my one-year mark in the hobby, which puts me a tad beyond the newborn stage. I read somewhere about a 95% failure rate of new reefers in their first year, but I persevered. No amount of YouTube, podcasts, and scouring forums can substitute for digging in and learning from mistakes. The most significant issues I struggled with in the old tank were GHA, keeping coral happy, high nitrates/phosphates, and an overcrowded sump cabinet.

With my first go last year, I invested in decent equipment but went cheap with the tank, with the plan to upgrade the DT and reuse the equipment should I survive a year. It was a 75-gallon Petco special. I drilled/painted the back and plumbed it into a custom-built cabinet with a 20-gallon Trigger sump. All was well until I hit the mother of all hair algae outbreaks. At its peak, it looked like a glass box with Chewbacca stuffed inside. The fish didn't mind, but the coral did. I recovered from that and vowed never to let it happen again.

I just finished a carefully planned migration to my new Forever Tank. It went surprisingly well, although I can't believe how hard it is to catch certain fish (I'm looking at you tangs).

The OceanGuard 605​

This package scratched me right where I itched. The size is just right for me, and I really like Aquaforest's cabinet quality and sump design. Uncrating it was quite the experience. The sump is packed sideways in the cabinet, which is packed in the tank, like super-heavy Matryoshka dolls. I rigged up an 8:1 overhead pulley and had two others help unnest the whole thing. The plumbing is nice, but I want to add a ball valve after the gate valve in the downflow to shut down the sump without messing with the gating, which took me forever to get just right. There's a media sock just downstream from the filter sock, which I filled with carbon. The ATO reservoir is huge, at the expense of the main compartment, which is already filled with stuff.

The Migration​

Luckily, I could set up the new tank right next to the old one. I first set up the new rock in two towers on the left and right sides, courtesy of BRS's BF drawing (hint: I'm pretty sure they look for good comments rather than randomly draw--this was my second year in a row getting picked). I had a heated Brute of saltwater plus a 20-gallon bin ready to go. I pumped half the water from the old tank over, then disassembled and reassembled all the live rock and coral into the new tank. I glued the rockwork into five separate modules that appear as one continuous piece, so it will be easy to rearrange things later--another lesson learned from the monolithic glued structure I had before. I poured in the sand--fine-grained Bahama sand, which I like much better than my old gravelly stuff. After triple-checking that the temperature matched, I transferred the fish over, which only took 10x longer than anticipated. I then pumped more old water in and slowly filled it with new water. Everything survived the move, and my two shy fish quickly picked out their new hiding places. I made plenty of hiding spots with the new rocks cape. Out of paranoia with all that new water volume, I tested for ammonia and nitrites for the first two days. Zero. Nitrates and phosphates were also both at zero, so I overfed for a few days to get those up a bit.

The Livestock​

All my fish and inverts from High Tide Aquatics.

Fish​

• Bristletooth Tomini Tang
  • Firefish
  • Exquisite Firefish
  • Pajama Cardinal
  • Ocellarus Clownfish (x2)
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Yellow Coris Wrasse
  • Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish
  • Black Cap Basslet
  • Orange Stripe Bristletooth Tang
  • Filefish

Inverts​

The urchins were my MVPs in cleaning up my GHA--now I need to feed them. Out of the 40 or so trochus snails I used to have, I'm down to two because the crabs ate them all. Apparently, my crabs are escargot connoisseurs.
  • Tuxedo Urchin (x2)
  • Pincushion Urchin
  • Blue leg hermit crabs
  • Emerald crabs
  • Trochus snails
  • Sand Sifter seastar
  • Fire shrimp, Cleaner shrimp, Peppermint shrimp
  • A tiny hitchhiker Seastar

Coral​

I lost quite a bit of coral in the old setup, so I'm focusing on keeping coral healthy going forward. Still healthy are:
  • Zoanthids
  • GSP
  • Xenia
  • Duncan
  • Flower Pot
  • Hollywood Stunner Chalice
  • Hammer
  • Finger Leather
  • Gold Torch
  • Sinularia

The Equipment​

• Aquaforest OceanGuard 605 Aquarium (114 Gallon) Limited Edition Carbon with AF 605 sump (46 gallon)
  • Neptune Apex
  • Reef Octopus Regal 150SSS (a huge upgrade from the useless Bubble Magus I had before)
  • Tunze MAR-3181 Macroalgae Reactor with chaeto inside
  • Maxspect XF330 Gyres
  • Maxspect Jump 65W LED lights
  • BRS 300-watt titanium heaters x2 (primary and backup, Apex controlled)
  • Neptune COR-15 return pump
  • Neptune AFS + Eheim AF (got to have redundancy on everything)
  • Aqua UV sterilizer
  • BRS GFO/Carbon dual reactor
  • BRS CO2 scrubber
  • Cheap little ATO pump controlled by Apex
  • BRS dosing pump
  • Neptune 4" LLS (to trigger ATO) and 15" LLS (to monitor ATO level)

The Journey Continues...​

Four days in, I've got much of everything up and running. I have a return pump gate valve on order which I will plumb into the GFO/carbon reactor (I planned on using a separate pump, but there's no room left). I hacked the chaeto reactor so the pump is now mounted on it to save space and cycle the output of the chaeto reactor through the UV sterilizer. I think I may need to add some powerheads in the rear quadrants--these corners are dead spots that the gyres don't reach. I should have everything I need equipment-wise after that, at least for a while.

I'm going coverless for the first time, which makes me nervous. I find myself looking for fish on the floor every morning. I've read that fish usually won't jump through a turbulent surface, so fingers crossed.

I'm still working on the most time-consuming part of the whole setup: cable management. My old tank was a spaghetti mess and became unmanageable. This was one of many lessons learned to fix this time around.

I want to add an RBTA before I glue down the coral, but I'm still pondering this over after reading horror stories of anemones going into gyres. I aim to fill the rock with more coral before adding more fish. One step at a time, and I'm in no rush.

I have a light kalkwasser mix in the ATO. I will add a heavy-mix kalkwasser reservoir that will dose at night to supplement the ATO mix. I'll probably be testing alk and calcium daily for a month to get the combo dialed in.

Comments/criticisms welcome--I'm here to learn.

IMG_2101.jpegIMG_2108.jpegIMG_2112.jpegIMG_2103.jpegIMG_2104.jpeg

Welcome to BAR! Really nice hardware setup! Heard good things about those lights. I highly recommend a lid though especially with that yellow wrasse and the fire fish. It's hard losing a fish to unexpected reasons but even harder when you know you could have prevented it. But really good choice getting QTed fish!

If you're ok with the anemone killing off the occasional coral, then sure. But even mine that sat for 5+ years without moving decided to go for a walk one day and got chopped up pretty bad in my Vortech. You can get 3D printed anemone guards, but they will require more cleaning and will reduce flow.

You're probably fine without dosing and just doing water changes for now since you have a very low demand. Kalk in the ATO can be a bit difficult to control, better off having it control directly off a dosing pump.

Welcome to our place in space
Your $upporting membership shows your dedication to your tank...and us
It the best investment you’ve made in your reefing journey
Best fish

Welcome to BAR! Really nice hardware setup! Heard good things about those lights. I highly recommend a lid though especially with that yellow wrasse and the fire fish. It's hard losing a fish to unexpected reasons but even harder when you know you could have prevented it. But really good choice getting QTed fish!

If you're ok with the anemone killing off the occasional coral, then sure. But even mine that sat for 5+ years without moving decided to go for a walk one day and got chopped up pretty bad in my Vortech. You can get 3D printed anemone guards, but they will require more cleaning and will reduce flow.

You're probably fine without dosing and just doing water changes for now since you have a very low demand. Kalk in the ATO can be a bit difficult to control, better off having it control directly off a dosing pump.
Thanks. I set up a kalk doser today. This idea I had to do both dosing and light mix in the ATO seems like a harebrained scheme now. I’ll leave the ATO mix out for now. And now I’m paranoid about no cover, so looking into options.

A few Christmas Eve updates:
  • Added a bypass valve on the return pipe that feeds a GFO/carbon reactor. Starting the GFO on half dose to ease in. I always had a bag of carbon and bag of GFO in my old tank (don’t think it was very effective that way). Reactor is new for me.
  • Added a kalk doser and reservoir. Haven’t written the Apex program for it yet—brain doesn’t want mathing tonight.
  • Glued/puttied down a bunch of coral. Decided not to add a RBTA.
More photos when things grow in a bit and I get some new coral.

A bit concerned that one of my clowns has been hanging out in one of the back corners the past few days and not going anywhere else. His partner goes around the tank solo, which is unusual because they’re normally always together, but still spends most of the day with him. Water parameters are all good, not sure what’s going on.

A bit concerned that one of my clowns has been hanging out in one of the back corners the past few days and not going anywhere else. His partner goes around the tank solo, which is unusual because they’re normally always together, but still spends most of the day with him. Water parameters are all good, not sure what’s going on.

Seasonal depression?

This is a great decision. In my opinion of course. Nice restraint. It really is for the best of the tank long term.
This guy’s anti-anemone don’t listen to him :p

I agree though regarding bubble tips - mine always get all stringy and restless and difficult to manage. Just took one out of my DT.

Magnifica and haddoni on the other hand…are some of the coolest critters we keep!!

Tank update:
  • New coral: Frammer, a big old Elegance, and Montipora
  • New fish: Lyretail Anthias male (hoping he does his job and coaxes out the two shy fish that rarely make appearances)
  • New CUC: 2nd Sand-sifting Seastar
Glued most of the coral down. Everything still super-clean except for a bit of Cyano forming in part of the sand. Looking lengthwise through the tank is like looking through a clean pane of glass.

Built a mesh cover (not on in photo).

The downflow valve has been a pain to get just right, which seems to be a common thing with Aquaforest setups. One day it's gurgling down the emergency drain, the next day the water level is 6" down in the overflow compartment.

IMG_2168.jpg
IMG_2168.jpg

Tank update at five weeks:
  • New fish: Yasha Goby and Springer Damsel from High Tide
  • New CUC: a gigantic Trochus Snail as big as my fist (also High Tide)
Waiting for the Yasha Goby to find the Pistol Shrimp. He disappeared since I added him yesterday.

Getting some Cyano--trying to remove it as it appears, Chemiclean on standby.

Temporarily removed Black Cap Basslet as someone seems to be bullying him. Debating getting a nano tank so I can shuffle fish around when necessary.

Coral seems to be coming in nicely. Will add more in February.
IMG_2270.jpeg
IMG_2270.jpeg

Back