Jestersix

Should I be using this?

Chrism1330

Supporting Member
So a fellow reefer who got out the hobby gave me this and I’m not sure what it’s called.
Should I be using this? What are the pros and cons of running this equipment with the tank? I looked it up and there’s a few names for it not sure what the actual term would be.

Attachments

• IMG_8344.jpeg
    IMG_8344.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 59
I would keep it but not use it until you have to. Both carbon and especially gfo take out helpful trace elements from the water, in addition to the stuff you want them to take out. There might times when you need to run either but you will now when.

I would keep it but not use it until you have to. Both carbon and especially gfo take out helpful trace elements from the water, in addition to the stuff you want them to take out. There might times when you need to run either but you will now when.
I agree with this. The Oceamo guy (professional chemist who runs the ICP MS) also said carbon adds silicates to the water.

IMO - Don’t add stuff without having a specific reason or plan. Plus it just creates another maintenance chore, stuff you gotta buy, something to clean, potentially leak, etc…

I agree with this. The Oceamo guy (professional chemist who runs the ICP MS) also said carbon adds silicates to the water.

IMO - Don’t add stuff without having a specific reason or plan. Plus it just creates another maintenance chore, stuff you gotta buy, something to clean, potentially leak, etc…

I have found Christoph’s statement re testing of GFO most interesting. He said it the testing was on his website but could not find it, but from what he was saying, I will think twice before using GFO going forward. Also, GAC seems to come in various degrees of quality, and corresponding problems. I did not like carbon for its effect on traces which was one reason I started using ozone, which will no longer require me to use carbon (hopefully), although some use it in combination for maximum effect.

Back