Kessil

Should I care about ORP?

phatduckk

Supporting Member
So a bit of background: When I tore my old DT down I took the apex probes and stashed them in a cup of RO. Sounds good - but I completely forgot about it and the cup evaporated... lol oops.The mean casualty here is my original ORP probe.

Now I'm wondering - should I get another one? Do I care? I don't run ozone so that use case isn't relevant to my setup. To some extent it was a "useful" metric as it hinted that a fish had died - but not sure that's worth $100.

So, what say yee? Should I get a new ORP probe? Is there a mysterious use for it that I'm not aware of?

The question I have before putting any sensor down is this: Will I make meaningful changes to something based on what the sensor is telling me? Or... Do I want it because it is cool and I can afford it? If yes to either, then why not. Personally, I don't think I would do anything if I saw my orp numbers move. I actually am curious what it does in a heavy fed tank. But not enough to buy one myself. For a coolness factor, I have considered running a second temp probe in alternate sides of the sump or something neat to get more displays on the apex screen.

Back