High Tide Aquatics

Shout out to Cali Kid for this Christmas tree worm colony

Darkxerox

Facilities, Events, LFS Partnership
BOD
Wanted to thank Cos @Cbruno80 for this beautiful Porites rock with tons of Spirobranchus giganteus (Christmas Tree Worms) along with I think a couple Paguritta harmsi crabs.

PXL_20230103_010950968.jpg

I'll need to examine it more once I rearrange things in the tank, but it's one of the most interesting commensal relationships I've seen in 25 years of reefing!

Also folks if you haven't been by Cali Kid in awhile, they got hit with a smash and grab right before Christmas, so definitely support them if you can. There's lots of great frags and really colorful LPS!

Beautiful Christmas tree worm rock! Looks like you have one with multiple different colors. I saw it there the last time I was at CaliKid. I have one as well. Great addition to any reef tank!
View attachment 44473
Nice! Have you tried to recolonize the rock at all? I feel like it would look awesome with like a Darth maul Porites.

I'm going to pick up some of this Reef Blizzard O that Jake had good experience with:

I've got mine under high par acclimating right now with lots of flow so hopefully I keep the coral alive.

I think wrasses do a number on them as well. Super cool though if your tank is compatible.

Cos showed my if you put your hand over it to shadow from the the light all the worms scoot inside. They think a predator is cruising over.

Beautiful Christmas tree worm rock! Looks like you have one with multiple different colors. I saw it there the last time I was at CaliKid. I have one as well. Great addition to any reef tank!
View attachment 44473
Have you tried recolonizing the rock with porites @Mr2KiEu ? I was thinking of starting the bare section of mine if I find anyone with like a Darth maul Porites frag locally.

@Twisted I was searching around and found a thread from you in like 2007 on RC. How did those work out for you over time?

Here's an updated shot. I counted 3 crabs in there too:
PXL_20230110_010657331.jpg

Have you tried recolonizing the rock with porites @Mr2KiEu ? I was thinking of starting the bare section of mine if I find anyone with like a Darth maul Porites frag locally.

@Twisted I was searching around and found a thread from you in like 2007 on RC. How did those work out for you over time?

Here's an updated shot. I counted 3 crabs in there too:
View attachment 44756
I had it for years and gave it to a friend they where awesome

Both of mine still has the brown porites so I haven’t considered recolonizing it. However, I have thought about doing an experiment with an encrusting rainbow moni tho. Reef Builders had one with greenish porites which I thought always looked cool.

Yours is settling in nicely. Over time there should be more colorful trees that pop out.

Back