Jestersix

Single head zoa fragging/mounting tips

I got a nice frag plug covered in pandoras, purple monster and pink diamonds. But they’re all mixed and some are under the plug, separating them seems straight forward enough just cut them apart, but what techniques do people use to make sure the zoas don’t get covered in super glue? I’ve never done the single head zoa plugs before in my 10+ years. Mainly I want to separate them so I can grow some nice patches of solid colors, but also the pandoras seem to be smothering the other 2 and I want to make sure I get some out.

I forgot all about the accelerator, whats a good brand these days? I haven’t used it in a long time.

Edit: I see the bsi one I assume it’s reef safe since bulk reef supply seems to sell the same one with their sticker slapped on it

Dry plug , dry zoa, drop off glue, sprinkle of baking soda on glue. Not zoa. Don’t get the glue and baking soda on your hands at the same time or it will hurt. A lot.

I’ll try that too, I get glue all over my hands every time I touch it. That’s why I’m worried. I’ll have gloves for this so hopefully it won’t be too bad.

I forgot all about the accelerator, whats a good brand these days? I haven’t used it in a long time.

Edit: I see the bsi one I assume it’s reef safe since bulk reef supply seems to sell the same one with their sticker slapped on it
Hobby lobby or Michael's sell this stuff. It's the same as what brs sells.
Screenshot_20230115_101852_Chrome.jpg

Is that stuff reef safe? I thought it was, and I use the BRS version, but the smell and feel is so oily/petroleumy that I'm always scared to use it.

I do really like the baking soda approach these days. I find baking soda + liquid glue is a lot easier to manage than spray + gel.

That being said, super glue hardening releases heat, and all the acceleration approaches then mean it gets hotter (same total heat, less time). I've not done it on coral because of that. I imagine it's fine though, especially on softies which have more water to spread the heat through.

Is that stuff reef safe? I thought it was, and I use the BRS version, but the smell and feel is so oily/petroleumy that I'm always scared to use it.

I do really like the baking soda approach these days. I find baking soda + liquid glue is a lot easier to manage than spray + gel.

That being said, super glue hardening releases heat, and all the acceleration approaches then mean it gets hotter (same total heat, less time). I've not done it on coral because of that. I imagine it's fine though, especially on softies which have more water to spread the heat through.

When I use it I have a little container of water that I set the glued frags in for a minute. I feel it helps dissipate the heat and gets a lot of the chemicals off. I've been using the stuff for 2 years now with no ill effects.

Thanks for all the help! I’ll give it a shot next weekend and check back in. How exactly are you drying these zoa heads? Just rolling them in a paper towel? Honestly I’ve never dealt with single heads I’ve always fragged multiples

Back