Reef nutrition

Skimmer not making bubbles

H2OPlayar

Supporting Member
Hey Bar,

I shut down my Reef Octopus 250ss skimmer and it dried out for a couple months. I then started it back up with a new power supply and controller (because I fried my old one) and the pump spins up great, but no bubbles are created. I bet something important is clogged and needs an RO bath. I have taken the skimmer apart a couple times, cleaning the needle wheel and everything but still can't get froth.

Any ideas?

Flushed fresh water through the tube and plastic piece at entrance to skimmer body. Water flushes cleanly through it. When I blow air through the tube, froth is created, but then stops.

Flushed fresh water through the tube and plastic piece at entrance to skimmer body. Water flushes cleanly through it. When I blow air through the tube, froth is created, but then stops.
Maybe try to put it in a container of water on a table so you can get a closer look at it. Could be the motor itself?

Are you sure the impeller is spinning? Also is the water inlet clogged? That shouldn't prevent all bubbles, but I've had snails get stuck which have caused it to have very low everything.

I feel I had this once and I can't recall exactly what the issue was, but I think it was related to the impeller not actually spinning properly.

Alternatively it was when I had inadvertently gotten water in the air silencer.

Definitely check the impeller, if the bubble wheel spins on the motor shaft you'll need a replacement. As long as there is a clear air intake, and the pump turns on (signs of the motor actually spinning) then it can only be due to clogged up pin wheel (i.e. mine stops making bubbles when the pins clogged up with chaeto) or it could be mechanical failure and the pin wheel can spin on the shaft (i.e. the motor spins when on but the pinwheel doesn't)

When you turn the pump on, put your finger of the intake. See what happens. Sometimes this will cause it to pull harder through the Venturi. Sounds like Arvin might be right tho with the needle will came loose from the impeller

There can only be a few things. I know you’re mechanically inclined. So check motor cartridge to impeller. Make sure the shaft to impeller is still connected. It’s usually a L type bracket molded into the impeller. Make sure those two pieces are Not free spinning from each other.
Venturi, make sure there is no obstruction. You can take it off the pump and look in the opposite side of the inlet. You said you blew thru it and it bubbled. So I’m assuming it’s clear.
Other than that. Just junk stuck on the mesh wheel.
Assuming the motor itself is working.
Edit. I didn’t read arvins post. But yeah. I’m late to the party. As always.

Ghetto fix. If the motor and impeller are separated. Glue it back together with CA glue and baking soda. Temp/ permanent solution, until it breaks. Don’t get it on your hands cuz it hella burns.

Last edited:
I took apart the skimmer and pump today.

Motor shaft is connected to needle wheel; wheel stalls when I put my finger on it and spins when on.
I cleaned the needle wheel, it had some small snail shells in the needles.
Blowing air through the tube makes the skimmer froth when it is on.
I can try the hot water in the venturi, but I think I got it flushed appropriately.

But bubbles are still not created when the pump is running. Like you pointed out, there are 2 moving parts on this thing. I am scratching my head here.

I took apart the skimmer and pump today.

Motor shaft is connected to needle wheel; wheel stalls when I put my finger on it and spins when on.
I cleaned the needle wheel, it had some small snail shells in the needles.
Blowing air through the tube makes the skimmer froth when it is on.
I can try the hot water in the venturi, but I think I got it flushed appropriately.

But bubbles are still not created when the pump is running. Like you pointed out, there are 2 moving parts on this thing. I am scratching my head here.

This is a big swing out in the middle of nowhere and is probably not the case, but is the Venturi ring (where the air tube is connected) tight when screwed onto the motor? Any chance that it’s loose and water is being pulled before the air can be pulled?

This is a big swing out in the middle of nowhere and is probably not the case, but is the Venturi ring (where the air tube is connected) tight when screwed onto the motor? Any chance that it’s loose and water is being pulled before the air can be pulled?
It is possible there is a leak in the tube, I'll check this week.

Soaking the venturi in hot citric acid this morning, we'll see if that helps.

Last edited:
Back