Cali Kid Corals

SLA Prints - Reef Safe?

Hi All,

I have an SLA 3d printer(formlabs) which uses a uv laser to cure resin. I know using filament 3d printed pieces is pretty common but does anyone have any insight into resin printed pieces? I'd love to be able to add some custom attachments/pieces onto my aquarium, but wouldn't want to risk anything.

I'd imagine you would have to use one of the dental resins that are for in mouth use. They make a temporary crown resin, a ortho resin, and a surgical guide resin. Those are all biocompatible. I'd guess that the temp crown resin would be your best bet.

I have a regular plastic filament 3D printer, not an SLA resin printer, so no personal experience. Everything I’ve seen online (including posted responses from a formlabs customer service rep who was asked this question) regarding resin prints are that they are not reef safe. I looked into it because I was considering buying one for this use. I absolutely would not use resin prints in your tank.

I believe you want to use PETg and a filament printer.
I agree, PETG for anything that touches water. Easy to print with, comes out looking great, stable, good structural properties.

ABS is also reef-safe, but significantly worse in other ways, including harder to print with. PLA is by far the most commonly used filament in general, and is fine for things that don’t touch water. PLA is a bioplastic, so it (very) slowly degrades in the water.

Also resin printed objects are not strong like filament printed, they are easily cracked upon stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back