Neptune Aquatics

Some fun I had on my birthday

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Wife "surprised" me by getting me a day adventure.

copyofimg8227.jpg

Was a first for me, went up to the American River, and got a nice little trip out of it... temperatures were pushing 100 but honestly I didn't feel it (picture shows why :D)... A couple companies had photographers at a couple spots were rapids were a bit rougher than others and apparently just had some serious 10 megapixel cameras that took picture after picture, great clarity and all that jazz. Downside is the company that took the pictures wanted $22 for one, if you wanted the whole set at just ONE rapid then $50, if you wanted two rapid sets then $75. Needless to say I ended up with just this one picture, figure its my birthday, this would look nice as a proper picture, while one of the other sets had a great action sequence that ended with everyone completely covered in water (as in you couldn't physically see them) and a pair of hiking boots (not mine) sticking out of the top, it really didn't show much in way of me enjoying myself more like grit and determination on my face. Oh and my hat is backwards not for the cool factor, but because the guy warned us of the photo op moment, and as you can see everyone else with a brim got a shady face, although I don't know if the guido look I'm sporting really looks better...

Not even really that sore today (other than the whole old age thing :D), learned a long time ago how to paddle a boat and use your whole body rather than just your arms, and overall we had an excellent guide who knew exactly when and where we had to paddle, so we didn't get completely exhausted or anything. Also turned into a rescue boat at one rapid when this smaller boat with a dad/mom + 2 kids went over a particular rapid and it look like the boat exploded as both kids went flying out of the boat as if they were jet propelled. Overall two thumbs up for a fun adventure, if you've never done it, go ahead and do before you start making your bucket list :)

now that's a cool b-day present! I've done that before and agree it's a fun experience. we pay so much for living in the bay area, in part because we have access to so many activities like this, so it makes sense to take advantage of it.

Rafting is fun. Can't compare to surfing though but still a blast! Next time I go will probably when my kids are older and they are able to swim (probably 10 years from now :)). Is this the South Fork? I went on the South Fork when I was 10 years old and it was quite challenging. About 4 years ago I went on the Middle Fork where you have to wear helmets and it wasn't too bad. Can't compare to 6 ft waves coming head on. :) Looks like you had a blast and Happy Belated Birthday! :party:

Thanks, yeah that was the South Fork, according to the guide depending upon the time of year the rapids can be quite a bit different in intensity, he said a few weeks earlier and they would have been that much more crazy. I think he also said the middle fork is now more challenging than the south (don't know why), the south fork when I went had some Class III rapids, the middle fork apparently has class IV rapids. Overall the south fork was a good first timer experience, plus our guide just rocked he let us know when things were coming up, and if we fell out (no one did) which way to swim, etc.. so nothing was unexpected.

I did the Middle Fork a few years back and it does have a couple drops that are pretty serious compared to the South Fork. One of them we even had to walk around due to a 15' or so vertical drop which the guide went over with the raft, but far to serious for the paying folk. The South Fork is a great adventure for anyone wanting a bit of excitement w/o the reasonably high risk of being pitched out (which a couple of us were on the MF :) )

Back