Kessil

Sourcing glass sheets local

Hello,
I find myself in an unfavorable position, as the frag tank I attempted to drill shattered. The bottom most panel specifically. I’m looking at getting it replaced since it’s a nice rimless with low iron walls. The tank is 48x24x18 and I’m looking where to source glass locally. I had received quotes online however the freight costs were exorbitant.

So, there's a few interesting things about this.

First, it's interesting that someone has been inquiring about sponsorship in the past week. Someone who was banned for their behavior on the board after repeated warnings, and who was subsequently banned multiple times afterwards because they kept sneaking back under other usernames.

It's also interesting that this banned person is from the same region (south bay) as you are.

And it's VERY interesting that this banned person had an issue, at exactly the same time as yours, where they attempted to drill a frag tank and shattered it. Because it was tempered glass.

hmmm-thinking.gif

suggestions for glass please.
The ironic thing is, the straw that broke the camel's back - after MANY private discussions with you regarding your behavior, and other members' complaints about your behavior - was that you outright refused to stay on-topic in a thread started by a guest speaker after several requests to do so.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Have you personally used them for aquarium glass?
No I haven’t used them. If it’s the bottom panel though I’m guessing it won’t matter that it’s not low iron? It says on their site they do both tempered and non tempered. They probably have choices for thickness. Other than those things, is there anything special about “aquarium glass”?

No I haven’t used them. If it’s the bottom panel though I’m guessing it won’t matter that it’s not low iron? It says on their site they do both tempered and non tempered. They probably have choices for thickness. Other than those things, is there anything special about “aquarium glass”?
I can’t be the only person that has come across this. I was more so looking to someone that has used said shop, done the repair and the turn out was good.

I can’t be the only person that has come across this. I was more so looking to someone that has used said shop, done the repair and the turn out was good.
Ah ok. I was responding to your original post asking where to source glass locally. Probably should’ve stated you were looking for personal experiences only. There’s definitely been a lot of people with that problem. I think the general consensus is that unless you know what you’re doing, it’s better to just get a new tank. I have a Red Sea tank that the seam was splitting and needed to be resealed and came to the conclusion it wasn’t worth it. Now it’s a dart frog tank.

What did I miss? Have been on a work trip the past week so haven't been on BAR much. Spill the tea please.....lol
I’ve been on here everyday and still don’t know what’s going on lol
Several years ago, the user Randy_Adam_Martin (aka TurboReef, aka GaryWithOneR, aka Bayreef, or just 'Randy Martin' for shorthand), was banned for problematic behavior and user complaints. This behavior went on for quite some time, and didn't stop after repeated attempts at discussing it with him and giving him entirely too many chances. The incident I alluded to was when a guest speaker offered to give a demonstration of a tool they put together. I don't remember the precise details, and don't feel like looking it up, but from what I recall: Randy was outspoken about several things he didn't like about it, and continued complaining after ignoring requests from both the speaker and the BOD to either start a new thread for that line of discussion, or discuss it in another format. He refused, this was the final straw in a long series of issues, and he was banned.

Since then, he's simultaneously complained about us on other sites (including within the last month or so) while trying to sneak back onto the forums under different usernames. Each time he's been caught, we've verified it's him, then banned him again. A documentary of this series of events can be seen below:

1725402374052.png

A couple BOD members had our suspicions, we confirmed it was him, then we banned his latest account (BayReef).

I want to make it clear we don't take banning people lightly. To my knowledge, this is the first (and only) time in the last 5+ years we've banned an individual because they were causing issues and refused to neither recognize nor address their problematic behavior.

Last edited:
Several years ago, the user Randy_Adam_Martin (aka TurboReef, aka GaryWithOneR, aka Bayreef, or just 'Randy Martin' for shorthand), was banned for problematic behavior and user complaints. This behavior went on for quite some time, and didn't stop after repeated attempts at discussing it with him and giving him entirely too many chances. The incident I alluded to was when a guest speaker offered to give a demonstration of a tool they put together. I don't remember the precise details, and don't feel like looking it up, but from what I recall: Randy was outspoken about several things he didn't like about it, and continued complaining after ignoring requests from both the speaker and the BOD to either start a new thread for that line of discussion, or discuss it in another format. He refused, this was the final straw in a long series of issues, and he was banned.

Since then, he's simultaneously complained about us on other sites (including within the last month or so) while trying to sneak back onto the forums under different usernames. Each time he's been caught, we've verified it's him, then banned him again. A documentary of this series of events can be seen below:

View attachment 60044

A couple BOD members had our suspicions, we confirmed it was him, then we banned his latest account (BayReef).

I want to make it clear we don't take banning people lightly. To my knowledge, this is the first (and only) time in the last 5+ years we've banned an individual because they were causing issues and refused to neither recognize nor address their problematic behavior.

Thanks for the backstory!

I say we also ban Marcos and Tu for trying to help him out.

Edit - Oh, Ian too!

Back