High Tide Aquatics

Sponsors...

Quite frankly, as has been previously stated, all it take is someone/anyone to say I would like to do "blank" (and provided that it is not in conflict with our bylaws) the BoD would most likely say yes. We do have funds and will continue to raise funds. And...just to be very clear, what we lack are volunteers (events, Board, etc.). As an example, we considered not participating at CFM because we did not have enough volunteers at the last event and it caused friction.

Just an input.
Over the years I’ve met people, couple, dozens, hundreds... Don’t know how many but I’ve always let them know about BAR and the great club it is; so far, maybe I have too many fingers to count how many of those people have joined BAR either as guests or supporting members...
BAR is no RC nor R2R much less a craigslist place.
Those who have been on BAR actively for many years, those returning and even those leaving, have found in BAR a tight knit community; comes to mind that similar clubs are MARS (here’s @Bruce Spiegelman who can chime in on that club) and NVR

...my brother and I, had been actively in the hobby for years; I’m a subscriber on RC, R2R, NanoReef and AllReefs; my place to be where I like it is BAR. My brother doesn’t like the forums...

This all goes back in my opnion to the lack of active users on this forum.
It saddens me to see prominent bay area users active on R2R much more than bar..
I do not think we should index in event and giveaway programs to bring in users. I think users want to see discussions, want to ask questions and see people guide them and advice them.
I think the number of users who will want to come to a forum asking questions or participate in discussions are more than users who want to use forum for events or selling/buying things.
If we grow the forum, active reefers will come
If we show the forum is active, sponcers, vaulenteers and LFS will come..

My 2 cents..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
If you have a reasonable plan and want to help, as Will said, the board will very likely approve it, plus provide funds as well if needed.

It would be great if we could get a LFS like Neptune to be able to include a supporting membership with every tank setup they sell. Because whether they know it or not, that beginner reefer needs us the most right then. If we can help them become successful in the beginning then they're more likely to stick around longer in this hobby than the average 12-18 months. By then they would be better for our membership plus the longer they stay in the hobby the longer they will be customers of the LFS.

I can’t imagine that with a full tank setup the LFS couldn’t afford to have an extra $30 built into the price to pay for our supporting membership cost. If it is too much maybe we can lower the price for them to say $15. That’s a pretty low price to pay if they become a more loyal customer, and for us if they stay in the club year after year then a reduced price membership for the first year is not a big deal.

It would be great if we could get a LFS like Neptune to be able to include a supporting membership with every tank setup they sell. Because whether they know it or not, that beginner reefer needs us the most right then. If we can help them become successful in the beginning then they're more likely to stick around longer in this hobby than the average 12-18 months. By then they would be better for our membership plus the longer they stay in the hobby the longer they will be customers of the LFS.

I can’t imagine that with a full tank setup the LFS couldn’t afford to have an extra $30 built into the price to pay for our supporting membership cost. If it is too much maybe we can lower the price for them to say $15. That’s a pretty low price to pay if they become a more loyal customer, and for us if they stay in the club year after year then a reduced price membership for the first year is not a big deal.
This is a very interesting idea.
Note that it does not need to be a full year either. Maybe 3 months.

In fact, we could even make it generic and not charge the sponsor.
For example:
If you are a new guest member, and can show us a receipt from a sponsor for a new tank, then you get a one time free 3 month membership.
Or for that matter, and sales over $250 or something.

@glee maybe during next BOD meeting, couple topics need to be discussed and once you guys published the meeting minutes we ad club users can provid input. I do have respect for the proccess and structure of the club and its BOD proccess.
If I may suggest maybe the 2 topics can be
LFS support. What are we doing, what are we planning to do
And
Initiatives and activities through the club to promote the club and benefit its users.
I have a feeling each of these topics will need a meeting which should be ok, it can be discussed in the coming 2 meetings.
This way we will have discussions by the club users on each topic aside...

Thank you!

@glee maybe during next BOD meeting, couple topics need to be discussed and once you guys published the meeting minutes we ad club users can provid input. I do have respect for the proccess and structure of the club and its BOD proccess.
And
Initiatives and activities through the club to promote the club and benefit its users.
I have a feeling each of these topics will need a meeting which should be ok, it can be discussed in the coming 2 meetings.

Thank you!
First off, all members can attend BOD meetings and offer input.
Second, I suggest maybe we have a zoom call town hall meeting for everyone. That way we can all discuss these issues as a group.
This club is only what we all make of it. If people want something to happen they need to Be willing to make it happen.

Last edited:
First off, all members can attend BOD meetings and offer input.
Second, I suggest maybe we have a zoom call town hall meeting for everyone. That way we can all discuss these issues as a group.
This club is not what we all make of it. If people want something to happen they need to Be willing to make it happen.
I love this idea actually

I agree we should have a town hall video meeting on this topic. There was a lot of misinformation presented on the other thread today that would also be worth trying to clear up in a constructive way. We are all in this together, let’s try to keep our eye on the goals of improving BAR for its members, and supporting it’s core mission.

And

Thank you!
These are important topics and I will bring them up during our next meeting. @Wlachnit

@The_Lazy_Reefer What do you think of this idea?

This is my observation. Great ideas need champions or those great ideas go no where. My primary role with the BOD as the facilities coordinator is to find suitable locations to conduct our events. I also support the club with events that I enjoy, aka champion opportunity. When I proposed a coral growth contest, I didnt get any support or objections so I took it upon myself to set up a small committee, procure coral, manage logistics, monitor thread, judge, and distribute awards.

Mike, @Coral reefer, has been our champion for DBTC. This new DBTC group buy and possible frag swap, which supports our mission, is his baby. From the looks of it, the idea has been a successful one with many members participating. This was a huge undertaking from Mike and I support his idea. I originally wanted to participate but when battle corals was announced as the vendor, I dropped out because Im not that interested in SPS. He did consider other vendors for softies or LPS, but I stopped reading the thread (just busy) and not sure where that went.

Are you ready to be a champion?

Back