Neptune Aquatics

SPS ID?

Solitaryensis

Supporting Member
Anyone know if this piece has a name? I know, I know. Just curious since it’s the oldest and largest piece in my tank :)
9f5128c339d043fa10fbf851fc8a370b.jpg
9f5128c339d043fa10fbf851fc8a370b.jpg
19c123effad7601414e9feec116fe8aa.jpg
5268dcb8834642b0a2a6d199a7585f2a.jpg
03c14979ac04fceebf6f3b83998d31aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was actually traded to me initially as a Cali Tort but agree with Ash that the color isn’t consistent with normal tort colors and the more round corallites leads me to think it could be something else?

It was actually traded to me initially as a Cali Tort but agree with Ash that the color isn’t consistent with normal tort colors and the more round corallites leads me to think it could be something else?

It can give the purple tips you are seeing. I still think its cali tort. I used to have my cali tort change colors with trace elements dosing.

I just looked it up and it looks a bit darker than yours.

You know, I think the shape of the corallites actually resemble valida more closely than tort. Hmmmmmm

Valida typically gets deep green skin with purple tips and bright green corallites. This looks closer to an Austrea acro. I have one in my tank but it is way too small to compare and very much new to the tank. But the bubbly appearance and shape resembles an Austrea. Although the teal color is very different than what I've seen.

I have a few pieces in my tank that I have no idea what they are but they are really pretty. This one could fall in this category.. ha! It's a gorgeous piece regardless.

Well I think the big problem is this hobby is more interested in giving fancy names then actually correct identification of corals, and yeah including the tricolor valida .

If you look at this, the coralites seem more bulb shaped, or stubby cylinders, that are tightly packed (could be wild growth vs aquarium growth mind you).

Back