High Tide Aquatics

Squist's RSR 250

Thanks for the awesome tour of your tank inhabitants and system! So many cool projects involved behind the scenes. And so much diverse life in your tank - love it.

RIP - APRIL 2022

Squists RSR - RIP.png

I regret sharing this belated bookend. Regrets for the time that has passed.

I lost my tank the week that I moved last April. Months of grief, self-blame, regrets. Seriously -- this really stung. Then distractions (thankfully) of a year of home improvement projects and discovery of my new surroundings.

I thought at the time of the tank’s demise that I might have an “easter resurrection” update to share but it will take another year before I am ready to start the tank back up. There are electrical circuits and related work to complete. A kitchen.

So what happened?

During my move I was more concerned about getting to my new home before the moving company arrived. I failed to turn my main pump back on, in a rush, after one last feeding of my tank.

With my entire home packed and in transit I left my tank behind — fully automated — to be picked up and moved-in several days after my initial move to Rocklin, 1.5 hours north of San Pablo.

The problem was — and I have had a lot of time to re-live this over and again — I had become accustomed to the fail-safe systems of my controller to the extent that, with my computer network off-line and packed, my controller’s alerts were unable to communicate with me while I was unpacking for three days before returning for the tank, fish, corals.

Yeah— it was human error. My error. I was in a whirlwind of moving and I didn’t want (and this sounds as stupid as I still feel) I did not want the movers sitting idle billing for time waiting for me to catch up with them.

Ugg.

Because I was in a rush and failed to turn on the main pump and the temperature in early April still quite chilly, I came back to my tank in a state of total collapse. The temperature was 70 deg. F. I really don’t want to re-live it now but wish I had taken alternative steps.

Thank you Bay Area Reefers for all of your support on my tank’s three year journey. You helped reintroduce me to this amazing hobby. Your generosity made an indelible impression and many great memories. I remain indebted and hope to reconnect in the future.

Wishing you continued success.

Art
artsederquist at gee-mail.com

RIP - APRIL 2022

View attachment 46079

I regret sharing this belated bookend. Regrets for the time that has passed.

I lost my tank the week that I moved last April. Months of grief, self-blame, regrets. Seriously -- this really stung. Then distractions (thankfully) of a year of home improvement projects and discovery of my new surroundings.

I thought at the time of the tank’s demise that I might have an “easter resurrection” update to share but it will take another year before I am ready to start the tank back up. There are electrical circuits and related work to complete. A kitchen.

So what happened?

During my move I was more concerned about getting to my new home before the moving company arrived. I failed to turn my main pump back on, in a rush, after one last feeding of my tank.

With my entire home packed and in transit I left my tank behind — fully automated — to be picked up and moved-in several days after my initial move to Rocklin, 1.5 hours north of San Pablo.

The problem was — and I have had a lot of time to re-live this over and again — I had become accustomed to the fail-safe systems of my controller to the extent that, with my computer network off-line and packed, my controller’s alerts were unable to communicate with me while I was unpacking for three days before returning for the tank, fish, corals.

Yeah— it was human error. My error. I was in a whirlwind of moving and I didn’t want (and this sounds as stupid as I still feel) I did not want the movers sitting idle billing for time waiting for me to catch up with them.

Ugg.

Because I was in a rush and failed to turn on the main pump and the temperature in early April still quite chilly, I came back to my tank in a state of total collapse. The temperature was 70 deg. F. I really don’t want to re-live it now but wish I had taken alternative steps.

Thank you Bay Area Reefers for all of your support on my tank’s three year journey. You helped reintroduce me to this amazing hobby. Your generosity made an indelible impression and many great memories. I remain indebted and hope to reconnect in the future.

Wishing you continued success.

Art
artsederquist at gee-mail.com
Sorry to hear :(

Art, don’t beat yourself up. This hobby is brutal sometimes. Moves are often disastrous, despite our best efforts.

I feel your pain. I had been wondering what happened to you. Glad you are ok.
My move cost me my tanks as well. It still hurts me too. Good luck getting back in again asap

I feel your pain. I had been wondering what happened to you. Glad you are ok.
My move cost me my tanks as well. It still hurts me too. Good luck getting back in again asap
Thanks. Yeah—it was like grieving any pet I’ve lost, the year took off and before I knew it a lot of time went by. I’ll be back in a year or two. Planning out the fish room and plumbing system, in the meantime.

Thanks. Yeah—it was like grieving any pet I’ve lost, the year took off and before I knew it a lot of time went by. I’ll be back in a year or two. Planning out the fish room and plumbing system, in the meantime.
That just means you're a good person and you have empathy.

A lot of people I've met treat fish as "only fish". They're still living creatures under our care, and their loss hurts. You'll use this as a learning opportunity and be better for it in the future.

And as someone else who recently made the move from the bay up here (Roseville, not Rocklin)...I see why people break down and sell tanks before moving.

Back