Neptune Aquatics

Suggested Return Pump for 29 Gallon?

99sf

Hello BAR friends. Many years ago, I converted a glass 29 gallon freshwater tank to a reef tank
IMG_5478.jpg
. I did this by painting the back of the rear glass blue, having a friend drill a hole in the back, adding a drain, with a flexible black hose leading to a 10-gallon sump. I have been using a Maxi Jet 1200 powerhead/pump (that pump has lasted forever) as the return pump, connected to a flexible hose that leads up to the display tank. I need to upgrade the plumbing because the flexible hose sometimes detaches from the Maxi Jet pump, causing a reverse siphon) and the flexible hose is just not a secure way to operate a return line. The top of the tank is about 48 inches. Which return pump do you recommend that I use, in order to use threaded PVC pipe and create a secure line for the return? Thank you in advance for your advice /suggestions (which might include that I upgrade to a more secure refugium light).

Last edited:
I personally like the Jebao DCP-3000. affordable, quiet and versatile. I use it to power larger tanks (50 - 90G + sump) as well as using in a 20G + sump system in the past.

Thank you for the suggestion, NanoCrazed. I bought two Jebao powerheads in the past, and both completely died within several months (while the Koralias and Vortech have lasted for many years). I'm glad you have had success with a Jebao pump.

I've never used the powerheads but have the return pump in 5 different systems without any issues. That said, these are all the DCP models.

If you're looking for a more vetted brand, Ecotech Vectras would be another solid choice...

I've never used the powerheads but have the return pump in 5 different systems without any issues. That said, these are all the DCP models.

If you're looking for a more vetted brand, Ecotech Vectras would be another solid choice...
Those Ecotech Vectras look really cool... would definitely be an ($$$) upgrade!

I have a similar similar sized frag tank in which I use a Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 Pump and I've had zero complaints so far. It is rated for 568GPH and considering some head loss, this pump would get you right around the mythical goal of 7-10x turnover rate for 29g+10g. It's not controllable however if that is a requirement of yours.

I have a similar similar sized frag tank in which I use a Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 Pump and I've had zero complaints so far. It is rated for 568GPH and considering some head loss, this pump would get you right around the mythical goal of 7-10x turnover rate for 29g+10g. It's not controllable however if that is a requirement of yours.
Thank you, littlereefers. I will check out the Sicce Syncra 2.0 pump. Controllable would be pretty cool, but would definitely increase the cost.

Back