got ethical husbandry?

Suggestions for macroalgae in display tank

Looking to put some macroalgae into my tank to add some color and help suck up nutrients.

Anybody have some suggestions for something? I have medium flow in the tank with full spectrum LED lighting up top. I'm running carbon and have a small hob filter that I'm going to put chaeto in.

I've seen some tanks with flame algae which looks nice. Any opinions on that?

Yup, you want flame algae aka orange tipped halymenia. Ochtodes is also a nice one.

I'd avoid the HOB filter if you can...More trouble than they're worth IMO.

How big is the tank?

I have macroalgaes in my display tank since I don't have a fuge. I have blue ochtodes and red grape in medium flow under my LED fixture and they both do great and are nice looking macros. I also have an AC70 that I modified to have a "fuge" section for chaeto.

Only 20 gallons. I have built in filtration / overflow wall with a center chamber I could use as a refugium but the overflow kit came with a very nice lid and outside cover that I don't really want to cut or modify.

So the only way to provide light would be a submersible led like the one intank sells.

So I'm currently using the center chamber for the heater and temp sensor instead of using it as a refugium.

The hang on back filter was free and adds flow to the tank so I figured I'd use it as a fuge for chaeto and pods. I also don't need to worry about a dedicated fuge light since I cut the lid and the main lights from the display will be plenty.

monkeybiz said:
Only 20 gallons.

The hang on back filter was free and adds flow to the tank so I figured I'd use it as a fuge for chaeto and pods. I also don't need to worry about a dedicated fuge light since I cut the lid and the main lights from the display will be plenty.

HOBs are notorious nitrate factories. For a total of 20 gallons...You're better off just doing regular water changes :)

Coral reefer said:
How will it be a nitrate factory with onto chaeto in it? That doesn't make sense to me

If chaeto and saltwater are the only things in the HOB, then sure. HOBs are particularly good at collecting detritus, even with the filter part removed. Keep it clean all the time and sure, it'll work. For the extra pump, eye sore and added maintenance, it seems way easier and more beneficial to up the frequency or volume of water changes (which should probably be done anyway if you're having nutrient issues).

Back