Kessil

Taking apart Red Sea Reefer overflow/plumbing for cleaning

JVU

President
BOD
I want to do a deep cleaning of my Red Sea Reefer overflow chamber and associated plumbing to/from the sump. I can’t find any specific advice online from Red Sea or others about the best way to go about this. I’ve never tried to do it before.

The tank is running so I need whatever I do to be relatively efficient and quick, without breaking anything.

For starters, after turning off the return I’m thinking I’ll need to drain out the water from the overflow box before I start taking apart plumbing in the overflow box, since all the water in the box would otherwise come down and so I can sort of see what I’m doing.

I’m not really sure how to remove the 3 pipes in the overflow box. I sort of recall they just screw in, but maybe with a ratcheting sound like they aren’t meant to come apart later? Any advice here?

The pipes in the stand look pretty straightforward, each with a union. Awkward angled shapes though.

Any advice or references would be much appreciated, thanks.

I just did this recently. You screw them in by hand. The three pipes screws into the bulkhead. The bulkhead is GLUED/screwed in and is locked in with a bulkhead nut. Leave that alone. Trust me, I screwed that one up royally.

Mike has a very good ideal.

Reactions: JVU
So I did something a while back with pipes in walls and so on.
What I did:
Turned off returns for two days, so moved heaters and added airstone.
I put flexible hose on the end of the overflow pipes that were in the sump.
Those hoses went out to a bucket. With a cap on the end of the hose.
I then filled overflow and all pipes with vinegar, and let it sit overnight.
I then flushed it all out with tap water, into buckets. Used a hose to spray into overflow, ends up in bucket.
Then simply disconnect hoses, and run as normal.
No disconnecting anything.

So I did something a while back with pipes in walls and so on.
What I did:
Turned off returns for two days, so moved heaters and added airstone.
I put flexible hose on the end of the overflow pipes that were in the sump.
Those hoses went out to a bucket. With a cap on the end of the hose.
I then filled overflow and all pipes with vinegar, and let it sit overnight.
I then flushed it all out with tap water, into buckets. Used a hose to spray into overflow, ends up in bucket.
Then simply disconnect hoses, and run as normal.
No disconnecting anything.
I want to clean out the overflow box too, not just inside the pipes.

Also, somewhat weirdly, I’m interested in harvesting the live aiptasia in and on the pipes and in the overflow box for my Berghia breeding experiment. This is a big part of why I’m looking to take it apart as opposed to just using one of those long flexible pipe cleaning nylon brush things, which I have.

Back