Reef nutrition

Tang Police?! Asking for a "Friend"

I put this question up in a Facebook community group chat but wanted to extend this here.

Does anyone keep tangs in a tank that is 75gallons or less? I wanted to see if I could push keeping a baby tang in a 50g gallon. (Just 1)
30 x 24 x 16

Preferably Kole or Convict. Runners up would be a tomini

I have kept Kole or Tomini tangs in a 36” 69g and they didn’t seem to be stressed about it. The one that was in that tank is now in a 112g and hasn’t seemed to have grown much at all since. It’s all about them having enough room to swim laterally vs water volume. A shallow 4’ frag flat is better than a tall 24” 50g cube style.

Also hiding places to relieve stress.

This is what I would like my 40g tank to look like. In this video Jake has a Yellow Tang, a Tomini Tang, and 2 Stark damsels.
The tank is a IM 30L :Total Volume - 30 Gallons, Dimensions - 35.43" L x 14.96" W x 12.99" H.

Jake is an expert in my book.
  • I wonder if the Tang police reached out to Jake.
  • I wonder if you are considered "an expert", the Tang police respects your knowledge and leave you alone. IDK, random Friday morning thoughts.

Had a yellow in a 55G for about 6 years before getting a 90G in 2004. Now it's ~26 years old, probably has less space due to the 20+ RBTAs, and still only eats SF brand brine shrimp and spirulina so who knows! It's definitely happier that the tomato clown is gone, so I'd prob have a bigger tank if you want to stock more or aggressive fish.

PXL_20230120_205303774.jpg

The size of the tank also is offset by how much usable space and flow you have. E.g. some people stuff it with bad aquascaping or coral with no spaces for the tang to dart into and hide or do little circular foraging laps, or not enough water motion to really tire it out. I've seen it go into an MP40 at 60% just to peck food stuck on the grille.

This is what I would like my 40g tank to look like. In this video Jake has a Yellow Tang, a Tomini Tang, and 2 Stark damsels.
The tank is a IM 30L :Total Volume - 30 Gallons, Dimensions - 35.43" L x 14.96" W x 12.99" H.

Jake is an expert in my book.
  • I wonder if the Tang police reached out to Jake.
  • I wonder if you are considered "an expert", the Tang police respects your knowledge and leave you alone. IDK, random Friday morning thoughts.

But Jake also had thousands of gallons amongst his tanks at the showroom, many of which could house them as adults.

But Jake also had thousands of gallons amongst his tanks at the showroom, many of which could house them as adults.
That's the key.

If someone has a good relationship with their local fish store, working out a deal to swap the fish for a smaller one as they grow might be an option.

Planning on selling a fish or upgrading a tank as the fish grows is a bad plan.

Had a yellow in a 55G for about 6 years before getting a 90G in 2004. Now it's ~26 years old, probably has less space due to the 20+ RBTAs, and still only eats SF brand brine shrimp and spirulina so who knows! It's definitely happier that the tomato clown is gone, so I'd prob have a bigger tank if you want to stock more or aggressive fish.

View attachment 46082

The size of the tank also is offset by how much usable space and flow you have. E.g. some people stuff it with bad aquascaping or coral with no spaces for the tang to dart into and hide or do little circular foraging laps, or not enough water motion to really tire it out. I've seen it go into an MP40 at 60% just to peck food stuck on the grille.
26?!!!
That’s fantastic!!

Back