Jestersix

Tank spawned torch babies

@Thales -- think this is anothet torch spawning event?

Last time, this same thing happened to my holy grail before the babies appear a few weeks later...

Different torches this time.
20211022_140413.jpg
20211022_140416.jpg
20211022_140418.jpg

Dammit -- I am now reminded why I hate yumas so much. Aggressive little things.

Lost one of my HG colored babies from a yuma growing too large and touching it. I removed the yuma that was originally next to the torch... but the foot regrew and never got to taking it off as well until too late. By time I removed the yuma, it had already attacked the torch. Was hoping the baby torch would recover on it's own but just too small.

Was feeling all happy about growth progress of the remaining torches thinking I was past the unstable period where loss was likely.

Woke up this morning to one more vanishing... lost this one.

20220314_002122.jpg

4 left. Might move these 2 to another tank since they attached to a plug and easy to move...

20220314_002105.jpg

Is that tank plumbed to a larger system?
or an isolated tank?
Kinda in between...

It's plumbed into my DT but i only use a trickled flow... found this to work well for the torches and other euphyllias in general. Seems conducive to spawning.

But down side is my return clogs on occasion and my guess is water quality suffers without me knowing it.

What i might do is tie the return pump to a apex port and do a small full flush on schedule...

Are you doing any kind of feeding? I wonder if babies have different nutrient uptake requirements. Kind of like clams where babies need regular phyto feedings before they can become fully dependent on photosynthesis.

Are you doing any kind of feeding? I wonder if babies have different nutrient uptake requirements. Kind of like clams where babies need regular phyto feedings before they can become fully dependent on photosynthesis.
I did at beginning but not since. They mostly grow well without any feeding.

Asterinas and other stinging corals like yumas and hammers are probably their biggest downfall, along with bacteria

Kinda in between...

It's plumbed into my DT but i only use a trickled flow... found this to work well for the torches and other euphyllias in general. Seems conducive to spawning.

But down side is my return clogs on occasion and my guess is water quality suffers without me knowing it.

What i might do is tie the return pump to a apex port and do a small full flush on schedule...
Might you be able to run a dedicated small pump from the sump so it is its own unit but with shared water?
it is how i run my multi tank systems…each box has its own pump

Back