Jestersix

Temperature Survey

Where do you keep the temp in your reef tank?

• <75

• 75-76

• 76-77

• 77-78

• 78-79

• 79-80

• >80

Results are only viewable after voting.

derek_SR

Supporting Member
Hui’s salinity survey inspired me to make a temp survey - I expect this one to maybe have a wider range of results?

I keep mine fairly low, in the 75-77 range. But have no particular reason for this. Would love to hear your reasoning and/or read any articles or anecdotes you’d like to share.

Feel free to select multiple options to cover your entire range if it swings more than 1deg.

77-78 I choose it because it gives a saftey barrier between too hot and cold, sometimes it goes to 76, but typically never over 79

Love these surveys.

I actually also wanted to ask how many run their tanks at lower temperatures, as this is something that Salem/Reefbuilders stated he does to have more time when there is a disease outbreak of some sorts (I actually like this kid and watching his streams, contrary to my recent statements on reef builders overall).

My nano is at 80.6 or so, since as this is meant to quarantine inverts and corals, and there is a video (or videos) with Humblefish and Reefbum (
) where he stated that this temperature would actually accelrate any existing disease and get rid of it within 6 weeks or so. And this invert quarantine company does the same thing: https://invertedreef.com/

My other tank is similar to Bruce and averages at 78.5. I have increased this a week ago from 77.5 average to 78.5 but cannot remember the reason.

I agree with you it would be good to have some backup on all of this but overall there is a wider range of temps which seem to be acceptable.

76.5-77.5 since I keep wilsoni

Can you expand on this? Why?

I remember reading somewhere that coral metabolism sped up a little at higher temps and they grew faster, and I think there was some science to support this. Anyone have experience with that? I know tank temps used to run much hotter in the halide days...or so I'm told.

I remember reading somewhere that coral metabolism sped up a little at higher temps and they grew faster, and I think there was some science to support this. Anyone have experience with that? I know tank temps used to run much hotter in the halide days...or so I'm told.
They're from Western Australia in more temperate waters and it's hard to know if you have ones from further north that can handle warmer temperatures. https://reefbuilders.com/2019/10/02/australophyllia-wilsoni/

I've lost one which was a WWC frag, but probably was just too small of a piece. The other 3-4 seem pretty stable and some of the slowest growing corals I've ever kept. The big one from Cali Kid seems to have adapted well to the lower light and temp too and colored up a ton.

My other corals, clam, inverts, etc. seem to grow fine so I'm guess I'm saving on energy too!

Even with halides, my tanks ran 75-76.

77.5-78.0 F

No particularly fancy reason, just that that’s the typical tropical ocean temperature. I’ve had my set point be a degree cooler and also a degree warmer over the years, with no ill effects. I use fans to keep it from getting warmer than 78.5 F.

I think stability is more important than the absolute number to a point, but even then you don’t need the super-tight range I use. I just have that because programming and implementing it is easy with modern equipment.

Back