Our mission

Thanks for breaking my heart Aqua Lab...

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
Go to Aqua Lab Aquaria on my lunch just to look around. I've got that new tank I need to fill. They have a bunch of yellow tangs and multiple price tags saying $99. I get supper excited, I tell my girlfriend we are getting one and I even text a couple bar members. I get off work to go buy my new fish and a few other things I need. I ask for the tang and the guy says sorry, none of them are for sale. Why have price tags if they aren't for sale? Then the guy says he can't sell them because of the ban in Hawaii... Anyways, thanks for letting me vent.

I’m not sure if they are primarily doing serving or something, but I’ve never seen any of their salt livestock actually for sale. I tried to buy a coral from them and they weren’t selling any of it until it grew out? While aquaculture is great, it’s weird to have display tanks full of NFS items

I’m not sure if they are primarily doing serving or something, but I’ve never seen any of their salt livestock actually for sale. I tried to buy a coral from them and they weren’t selling any of it until it grew out? While aquaculture is great, it’s weird to have display tanks full of NFS items
Especially when they have prices labeled!!!!

that's weird -- didn't think the Hawaii ban prevents sale of fish already on the mainland in LFS.
They don't.

It's either they're going to jack the price up on them, or if they service tanks from clients they want to keep them for the clients... which they will probably also charge an arm and a leg for. Either way, it's so that they can get the maximum amount of money from them.

Hey Eric
Just saw someone posted this on FB. Yellow tang for $149.99 seems like a great deal. $150 for free shipping.
I am just passing along the msg, I don't have any experience with this shop, I don't know how good the shop is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423-210638__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-210638__01.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 132
I’ve seen the captive bred ones they don’t look like that at all. They are almost translucent.

Here is what they look like.

View attachment 26263
Nope. Those were 1st generation very young juveniles. They look like normal yellow tangs now:

The last yellow tang I bought from an LFS cost me $12.99. He was with me for 8 years, but did not survive a house move. (Anybody want to hear about the horrific downside of the deep sand bed ?) Having been away from the boards for a few years, I thought I would purchase a shoal of 5 as I resurrect my "fallow" tank. This week I learned I would have sell a child to fund that project, and the kids are all well past their "sell by" dates.

Back