got ethical husbandry?

The Long Awaited Elos 120 (3/17/14 - 4/14/24)

Perhaps a function of working from home, I saw a Nassarius snail in this tank for the first time in forever. Not forever, but perhaps within the past two years or so - It has been a long time! Not sure what is with snails in this tank, but take a look. I was just about to buy more, and the new additions (Standard 1") are side by side with the monster.

IMG_2134.jpg

Ran across my first tank thread(s) from 10 years ago, and thought I’d share a few pics!
  • First rimless tank - @treylane‘s exiled sump.
  • Yes, full of original DPVs.
  • Yes, there is a newer strain being passed off as the “DPV” anemone. The newer strain entered the hobby around 2012/2013, and has been passed off as “the” DPV. Perhaps by honest mixup, or perhaps it even came from DPV itself. Either way, it’s not the same strain as this one from 2006/2007.
  • No, this newer strain of DPV is not the same as the strain pictured here, nor is it the strain featured on Mobert’s famed harem tank on RC.
  • Yes, I’m sure.
  • Yes, I’m still sure. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
23688688-5C9F-4F20-B51C-FC66C6C386C3.jpeg

• Still have this pair of black clowns... They’ve got to be almost 15 years old now as the guy I got them from had them for 3 years.
F5DACF04-FC0F-4DA1-AA5B-3641AAACEC0B.jpeg
39717972-07BB-4BBA-943D-DB6D348B029C.jpeg
79F6A5DB-3B58-47C5-ACD0-F43DF4F4CE9B.jpeg

• Still have this Purple Tang... From Ocean Treasures. I forget the guy’s name, but this came from his personal tank in Potrero Hill.
4B65FC72-1BEA-49FE-AFC6-851317866884.jpeg

80DC50AD-E146-4895-8DEE-B2F0E5E673B7.jpeg
A6B00215-FB12-4856-AD89-740F64CEB350.jpeg

It’s cool that you found those old photos, I always like when I have my photo app show old pics like this. Is there anything you were doing 10 years ago that you might think is crazy now? I feel like this hobby has really changed as products improve

congratulations to "old fish"!
most fish are not so fortunate
how many years?

best fishes

The clowns and purple tang have got to be at least 13 years old. Some other older inhabitants include a flame angel, solon fairy wrasse, and random jawfish. The jawfish is from around the same time as the clowns, and the flame and Solon wrasse were additions in 2013.

You’ve got to have some old ones as well - Do share!

It’s cool that you found those old photos, I always like when I have my photo app show old pics like this. Is there anything you were doing 10 years ago that you might think is crazy now? I feel like this hobby has really changed as products improve

Not really - I think at the end of the day, those who enjoy long term success are those who find stability and don’t chase new things. Things being additives, salts, etc. I started with reef crystals, went through salinity and every other “new” salt out there, and am now back to reef crystals.

Oh, I ran halides :)
Definitely wouldn’t do that again though I’d argue BTAs just aren’t the same under LEDs.

Yes, I do have some old fish
purple tang 16
fowleri tang 11
several female ocellaris clowns over 13 years
purple tang 12
orange shoulder tang 13 years
chevron tang 11 years
Striatus bristletooth tang 13
yellow tail blue tang 12

had
lyretail hogfish 10 years
flame hawkfish 10 years
yellow tang 12 years
yellow damselfish 12

RIP to the Purple Tang - Was a long run :(
Also RIP to a 5" trochus snail that was perhaps along for the ride since the very beginning of my reefing journey.

Down to two tanks:
  • Elos 120 (Mainly SPS, Jawbreakers, and BTAs at this point. I do have a ton of p. grandis to part with if anyone is interested. This tank does have blue clove polyps which started as ONE and spread to cover most of the rockwork. Recently set up a pair of Hydra 52HDs that have been sitting in the garage for a few years. One died within weeks, and AI (or whoever they're owned by now) only gave two options: Repair at $240 or purchase the 64HD at $425. Not all that happy given the lights had hardly any use and spent years in the garage, but needless to say there's now a 64HD next to the 52HD... :rolleyes:
  • RSR 425XL (flowy LPS galore after some show piece chalices didn't survive the stinging wars) Inhabitants include a purple tang, yellow tang, regal angel, and a sunburst anthia among others.

One pic for the archives :)

Hope everyone's well! Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_6208.jpg
    IMG_6208.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 116
Back