Neptune Aquatics

The_Lazy_Reefers 108 gallon sps dominant mixed reef

So is there a need to have 2 dosers with this setup? Why did you b go with this over trident

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
No need for just the KH director, that requires 3 heads and the 4th one can maintain alkalinity. The extra doser is for my calcium magnesium and traces. I went with GHL as I was looking to upgrade from my jebao doser as well as get some automated testing in place. What really sealed the deal is the release of the Ion director in March which will test so many things the trident will not.

Are you going to do a full switch from apex? Can you show a screen shot of the interface of the ghl? I'm still considering my options. Lets say your alk does drop can you remotely dose to bring it up?

Are you going to do a full switch from apex? Can you show a screen shot of the interface of the ghl? I'm still considering my options. Lets say your alk does drop can you remotely dose to bring it up?

See there in lies the one issue I do have with GHL. For the life of me I can’t make connections outside of the house 100% of the time. Inside on the hotspot of the doser it connects very well. I haven’t really tried to troubleshoot it and I’m sure with effort I can make it’s connections better and more reliable but until I figure out that part I’ll be keeping my apex doing what it does since in a pinch I’ve had to open apex and shut stuff off and there’s no delay where I’m terrified that in the moment the GHL won’t connect.
If I get the connection to WiFi stable you can dose anything you want whenever you want as all the dosing heads are able to be controlled remotely but for me I’m running the KH director in control mode so if there’s a drop or rise in alk from the target it adjusts the dosing of alkalinity accordingly which is pretty sweet.

See there in lies the one issue I do have with GHL. For the life of me I can’t make connections outside of the house 100% of the time. Inside on the hotspot of the doser it connects very well. I haven’t really tried to troubleshoot it and I’m sure with effort I can make it’s connections better and more reliable but until I figure out that part I’ll be keeping my apex doing what it does since in a pinch I’ve had to open apex and shut stuff off and there’s no delay where I’m terrified that in the moment the GHL won’t connect.
If I get the connection to WiFi stable you can dose anything you want whenever you want as all the dosing heads are able to be controlled remotely but for me I’m running the KH director in control mode so if there’s a drop or rise in alk from the target it adjusts the dosing of alkalinity accordingly which is pretty sweet.
Thats kinda not good thst you can't connect remotely lets sat if your 2 weeks away in hawaii

Thats kinda not good thst you can't connect remotely lets sat if your 2 weeks away in hawaii

You can just I’ve found it to be very temperamental. Sometimes it takes 10 mins to connect after multiple attempts. This could be the way I have it setup but haven’t bothered to try to make the connection better.

Are you directly accessing the unit through your home router? Or does director connect to a cloud service and you access your unit through their server?
You can do either one. The local connect is super stable and I haven’t had issues.

the cloud connection is through the myGHL cloud and I have had similar connection issues while away. I have my doser in stand alone mode so I can access it separately from my profilux controller and while I was away I could only get access to the doser. So it seems to be hit or miss. I want to look into the configuration to see if it’s possible to improve though

Are you directly accessing the unit through your home router? Or does director connect to a cloud service and you access your unit through their server?
You can do either one. The local connect is super stable and I haven’t had issues.

the cloud connection is through the myGHL cloud and I have had similar connection issues while away. I have my doser in stand alone mode so I can access it separately from my profilux controller and while I was away I could only get access to the doser. So it seems to be hit or miss. I want to look into the configuration to see if it’s possible to improve though
Max basically summed it up. The local connection is rock solid and fast but once your away and need to connect remotely through the cloud things get wonky. I feel it’s a common problem with companies who make impressive hardware that the software is lacking in the same build quality. Or at least they look at if from a different perspective idk

Not sure if its because I access via my profilux, but I do not have issues accessing my P4 system remotely. Yes its not as near instantaneous as when am inside my home using my wifi, but work every time...

Last edited:
Not sure if its because I access via my profilux, but I do not have issues accessing my P4 system remotely. Yes its not as near instantaneous as when am inside my home using my wifi, but work every time..
Perhaps the P4 has a better connection than the SA doser. I had the cloud working within 3-4 attempts but last week I couldn’t get in at all for a couple days, then it started working again.

Tanks been rock solid recently and the addition of more trace and daily aminos has really given the corals a boost.

Attachments

• FD36F959-3068-4DF9-BB12-264BCEA41DC8.jpeg
    FD36F959-3068-4DF9-BB12-264BCEA41DC8.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 165
Is the reef plus aminos? Or are you hand dosing that.

For the trace since you have it on the doser are you still doing the 2x week, or did you spread the dose across each day

Is the reef plus aminos? Or are you hand dosing that.

For the trace since you have it on the doser are you still doing the 2x week, or did you spread the dose across each day
The reef plus is aminos and some other stuff I suppose the reef trace does not have in it, definitely has that amino color to it like the others. I have them both on weekly dosing amounts divided up into 3 days and then alternate days they go in and this seems to be doing well though I can’t test for any of it besides just overall coral health.

Exciting things coming! I found a killer deal on a planet aquariums 108 gallon and will be moving everything from the 75 into the new one. It’s an extra 18” of real estate and will give me a chance to rescape the tank while hopefully removing all the zoas. The sand and rock will stay with the owner and I’m just picking up the tank/stand/sump

Attachments

• F807DBDD-FF03-4718-A155-7BA0A3353596.jpeg
    F807DBDD-FF03-4718-A155-7BA0A3353596.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 149
Exciting things coming! I found a killer deal on a planet aquariums 108 gallon and will be moving everything from the 75 into the new one. It’s an extra 18” of real estate and will give me a chance to rescape the tank while hopefully removing all the zoas. The sand and rock will stay with the owner and I’m just picking up the tank/stand/sump
looks like a nice tank

Need help moving it?

Back