Jestersix

Thesassyindian's 13.5 gallon m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ ̶p̶i̶t̶ nano mixed reef

Some monti's I would put there too.

One of the best suggestions I have heard was to use monti's as a glue between base rocks you want to be stuck together. Let them grow and encrust and you have a super strong "cement"

How is the new frag doing? Almost one month old now?
Thanks for asking! 2.5 months actually! Now my life is divided between hourly diaper changes & bi weekly water changes :p

Current state of the tank:
IMG_3897.JPG

IMG_3902.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

Ok folks, I need a little advice.
Tank neglect with a newborn is real!

I changed out my bottle of ESV B-ionic Alk with a new one, and looks like it mixed at a higher concentration than the one that was depleted. This caused my Alk to creep up to about 11dKH before I caught it.

My LPS and most of my SPS are doing OK, except for the Rainbow Pocillopora. It’s got these brown algae like growths on the tips and ive seen polyp bail out whenever I change out the water / dust out my rocks with a turkey baster.

From what I’ve read online, this tip Alk burn caused by an Alkalinity spike. Is this indeed true?

What can I do to repair this?

Thanks y’all!!

Params:
Ca: 415ppm
Mg: 1393ppm
Alk: 10.5dKh
NO3 - undetectable by a Red Sea test kit
PO4: 0.04ppm

F1DB900E-CFD6-41FD-BCC8-47CD04A63DFC.jpeg

E4E1CC72-C031-40EC-B32C-7946661C31D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Until you get a more informed response... Sorry to see that - what a lovely colony you have there.
I can't tell from the pic but are the brown tips only on branches at the top? If so, that seems odd it would be caused by raised alk throughout the tank.
Also, I think we had some corals get burned when I finally saw that kids were dosing by dumping the whole amount right in one area. I think this killed our birdsnest and burned a mycedium, echinopora, and echinophyllia. Starting to show signs of recovery after a few weeks.

Until you get a more informed response... Sorry to see that - what a lovely colony you have there.
I can't tell from the pic but are the brown tips only on branches at the top? If so, that seems odd it would be caused by raised alk throughout the tank.
Also, I think we had some corals get burned when I finally saw that kids were dosing by dumping the whole amount right in one area. I think this killed our birdsnest and burned a mycedium, echinopora, and echinophyllia. Starting to show signs of recovery after a few weeks.
Thanks - hopefully I’ll be able to save the colony.

Planning to do a 90% water change today or tomorrow. Hopefully that will help

Last edited:
When things go wrong, they all go wrong together.

As it turns out, over the last two days, my 2 year old return pump has been failing intermittently. Thanks to alerts from the Apex, I am able to track when it stalls, and it takes a few toggles on the Apex dashboard to get it to start spinning again.

Anyway, huge shoutout to Sicce. I reached out to them regarding this and filed a support ticket. 9 minutes later, I have a free replacement pump on the way under warranty.
Has got to be the most painless RMA experience I've had thus far.

Adding to the Murphy’s Law from my last post, I finally fou d the root cause that caused the slow deterioration of the tank.

Blown channel in the Hydra26!!
D7AF02A1-3000-40DC-9D7F-84D9CBECEF2E.jpeg

One consolation is knowing that I didn’t mess up my tank chemistry and cause this issue.

In related news, anyone selling a good WiFi/Bluetooth enabled light suitable for SPS?

It can only go upward from here right?

Adding to the Murphy’s Law from my last post, I finally fou d the root cause that caused the slow deterioration of the tank.

View attachment 42828

One consolation is knowing that I didn’t mess up my tank chemistry and cause this issue.

In related news, anyone selling a good WiFi/Bluetooth enabled light suitable for SPS?

That sucks man. If you want another Hydra 26 I have one you can borrow. You can use it, ship yours to ecotech/AI, and give it back after they sell you a cheap HD.

View attachment 42828

Is there anyway to fix it.

What channel went out and why are you sure that killed your corals?
The white channel is blown. Tank chemistry has been pretty consistent and the light was the only change in tank life support.
Plus, only my SPS have been suffering. All LPS / softies are doing fine.

The white channel was a non-negligible portion of my spectrum since I was running the Hydra26 at pretty low overall intensity.
My suspicion is that the loss of that channel dropped the light intensity enough to starve the coral.
(My NO3 levels are always undetectable with home test kits, so the coral depend heavily on light).

1666887669320.png

Back