Cali Kid Corals

Thoughts on a shallow reef

tankguy

Supporting Member
So depending on what happens ( if we stay here in Cali or move ) Id like my next tank to be a shallow reef. Mostly because of my arthritis in my hands I'd want something that I dont have to climb on my step latter to get into. Basically just standing up and can reach right in if needed. Any suggestions and or experience ? Was thinking maybe and 80 gallon at the most.

I’m a fan of the Waterbox Frag tank models. At 52.6” tall with the cabinet you should be able to reach in easily or with a small step stool. Display volume on this model is 78G.

IMG_4420.png

Do you want a peninsula or a more standard, against the wall, style? When I think shallow I assume peninsula setup. I'm not really sure why, but maybe because of the extra viewing angles and extra water movement on shallow frag tanks.

I think the shallow / frag tanks from IM and waterbox seem very nice. That's the way I was going to go before going deeper.

Other alternative is shorter stand and separate (or shallow) sump if total height is the concern.

I've seen a few lagoon style frag tanks that looked cool on utube. They are definitely more shallow, but the trade off in height often means more width or length. Meaning you would have to really strech to reach the back/center if it wasn't set up peninsula style where you could just walk to other side to reach things.

I would consider maybe a tank in the middle something 18 inches high yet not as wide/ long.

I would also plus one to the shorter stand suggestion to make it easier reaching in.

If it's difficult to reach means difficult to clean, so eventually leads to neglect, followed by possibly giving up on it all together.

I'm considering a shorter custom stand for my next tank. My current one is about 30 inches tall and the tank is maybe 22” tall and it is really easy to reach into, plus I keep smaller fish with good lids so jumping isn't an issue.

Really for the sump do you need much more height than your skimmer needs plus some space to get off the cup? I tend to enjoy the tank sitting down as well so the height isn't a problem.

Try mocking up some cardboard boxes and test heights in your room. But if I was in your shoes I'd rather sacrifice stand height vs. tank volume.

I’ve thought about this for a long long time. I’ve always had tall stand/base aquariums. Meaning 40” or more. Aquariums always ranged from 24-30” tall.
This is what I’ve come to realize. It’s all about viewing pleasure. If you keep fish and are always standing in front or looking at the aquarium from a distance. Then tall and tall is better. Not great for viewing coral.
For me. My aquarium now is custom built. The stand is 33.25” total. Bottom of aquarium and crush panel is 1.5” The aquarium water height is 21.5”. I think minimum for me would be 18” before it starts to look too narrow. Total height is 58.25”. I’m 5’8”.
I’m sitting at my desk most days so it’s at eye level to the aquarium. But when I stand in front of it. I have a 45* angle look down at the corals. Which is awesome. So for me. It’s perfect. Hope that helps with your decision.
Oh reach depth is great. I can almost reach anywhere with tongs. Which is a huge plus for me.

Last edited:
I’m sitting at my desk most days so it’s at eye level to the aquarium. But when I stand in front of it. I have a 45* angle look down at the corals. Which is awesome.
Oh reach depth is great. I can almost reach anywhere with tongs. Which is a huge plus for me.

I never really thought about it in the mannor you described, but I agree that your description is very apt.

The height of the stand and depth of my my 65 makes it impossible for me to touch the bottom even on a stool. Even 14 inch tweasers I have aren't really long enough.

20240824_123440.jpg

The view from my bed also same view if i'm in a chair. If i stand can't really see the top portion. It’s definitely the perfect height for the best viewing angle 80% of the time.

Sitting up in bed the top of crush coral is a little under eye level.

Back