Jestersix

Thoughts on sponges?

gmdcdvm

Supporting Member
Hello,
I have been thinking of adding some colorful sponges to my tank, but do not know much about them. They don't seem popular overall. Just wondering if any of you have had any experience or have any recommendations.
Thanks,
Gerry

I have those slimy yellow/purple/ blue ones that grow in the crevices of my live rock. Mostly in the shade or under the rocks completely..Can view them looking up underneath the tank since bare bottom. Oh and those pesky pineapple sponges that seem to grow inside pipes/skimmers by the hundreds..Have had a few of the photosynthetic in the past that grow like styx and yellow balls or blue vases/cups. All have been accidental hitchhikers on live rock and super common especially from Tampa Bay Live Rock or Gulf Live Rock their rocks were covered in sponges and critters good stuff..Never fed them…algae is their nemesis and some will die if exposed to air! KP Aquatics used to have a great selection and the goto for them not sure atm..

I have this particular blue sponge in my tank which has encroached on some encrusting coral and killed it. So all sponges are not created equal. I've also heard that some are very picky and require specific environments in well established tanks. In some cases I think you could be risking unnecessary issues, but I have done minimal sponge research so I'm sure there could be some great varieties out there.

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to add or where you'd get it from?

I have this particular blue sponge in my tank which has encroached on some encrusting coral and killed it. So all sponges are not created equal. I've also heard that some are very picky and require specific environments in well established tanks. In some cases I think you could be risking unnecessary issues, but I have done minimal sponge research so I'm sure there could be some great varieties out there.

There are indeed quite a few sponges to steer clear of.

That might be the one PaulB said is ruining his tank for acros and montis. Photosynthetic and highly abrasive. Probably should try to cover it or prevent it from spreading.

I was thinking of some of the red, yellow, or orange ball or branching sponges. But I don’t want to run into problems like PaulB. That’s why I ask.

Last edited:
i have blue/purple plating sponge

Attachments

• IMG_4869.jpeg
    IMG_4869.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 29
I had one that was blue/purple, plating-appearance, rubbery, photosynthetic, grew well. Had it for years, never hurt any coral or anything. I shared it around in the club quite a bit, never heard of people having issues. Mine died off one month, don’t know why. Just another data point.

Interesting. These are all very cool examples. Too bad that one died off.

When people say these various types of sponges spread, are you talking well-growing GSP/mushroom spread, growing on things more and more OR are you talking about xenia/pocillopora spreading across the tank?

Also any experience with sponges being more or less susceptible to battles with other coral? I've been on the hunt for things (such as burning bush) that could in some cases act as a divider between things.

Back