High Tide Aquatics

Thoughts on tank build

I hated the idea of euro-bracing and was sure I'd never have one until I got a deal on my current tank that is braced. Frankly, it has some significant advantages over a rimless tank, and isn't difficult to work with as I feared. The only downside I've found was in setting up my particular lights.
I wouldn't do a huge euro brace maybe like 2 inch

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I love my euro bracing. Primarily because it keeps the splashing of water out of the tank when cleaning or moving stuff around. Specifically when using a magnet to clean near the top.

It’s also a great barrier to fish jumping, although I still use a net on top (also way easier with bracing).

Huge advantage in a big tank, is that I can lay on top of it when I’m in the tank.

I made a stand tall enough that you can’t see the top when standing in front of it (41”). So it’s not as distracting.

I love my euro bracing. Primarily because it keeps the splashing of water out of the tank when cleaning or moving stuff around. Specifically when using a magnet to clean near the top.

It’s also a great barrier to fish jumping, although I still use a net on top (also way easier with bracing).

Huge advantage in a big tank, is that I can lay on top of it when I’m in the tank.

I made a stand tall enough that you can’t see the top when standing in front of it (41”). So it’s not as distracting.
That and you have many other things to look at

Best thing I did was starting to add a hardy nylon or tarp under my sump and make it big enough to fold upward such way it creat a guard under the sump.
Now whenever I spill something water do not mske it's way to the cabinet wood rather stay withen the guard where I can clean it or leave it to dry if I cannot reach it.
It might not look like a big deal but for long term with inevitability of water spilled, this thing save the stand and your floors
I use this heavy duty material I get from home depot. I think it's made to be under tool boxes and such heavy material

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20200126_194559.jpg
    20200126_194559.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 216
Best thing I did was starting to add a hardy nylon or tarp under my sump and make it big enough to fold upward such way it creat a guard under the sump.
Now whenever I spill something water do not mske it's way to the cabinet wood rather stay withen the guard where I can clean it or leave it to dry if I cannot reach it.
It might not look like a big deal but for long term with inevitability of water spilled, this thing save the stand and your floors
I use this heavy duty material I get from home depot. I think it's made to be under tool boxes and such heavy material

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Another good thing is blue skin. It's for waterproofing window openings

@MarAquatic, who do you like to go through for your glass? I had a recent project that I got from Hartung and two of the pieces had a bubble in them from the tempering process and two more were the wrong dimensions. Old castle seems to have the best pricing but they take a long time. PRL is really fast but more expensive.

I work at a glass shop. So who ever is cheapest usually. The sump I just made glass came from glass fab in santa rosa

In my opinion square tanks are really good looking and give a sense of three dimensions. You might want it a couple inches taller though, but it all depends on your vision.

Back