Kessil

Tips for easily purging unwanted zoas?

I think I read of someone supergluing zoas to trim them without physically cutting back. This works well? Or no? Other suggestions? The green ones are overgrowing nicer orange ones. They look great together but need upkeep.

I want to get rid of the X'ed out ones as easily and tank-safe as possible.

TRIMMINGBACK.png

Yeah, I hear ya. They are weedy. The Xs are where I want the orange ones to grow :D. Hoping to go from green zoas on the left to orange ones on the right and then butt-up at the orange Monti that's also covered by green ones.

Proabably easiest to just get in there and pull or chip off the ones you want to remove. Larger zoas and palys generally pull off pretty easily if you grab at the base and slowly work off their base mat. Smaller ones with thinner mats can often be removed with a blade or bone cutter. Has the advantage that you can re-home them alive.

If that doesn’t work, Aiptasia-X works well to kill zoas and you can apply it just to the ones you want to get rid of. Wait an hour with pumps/circulation off, then siphon out.

I like the convenience of the Aiptasia-X option. Or kalk slurry?
I would opt for the kalk slurry personally, so when it disperses in the tank, you only leak out CA, alk, and zoa toxin for the carbon to absorb. If you do, let us know how it works, as I am currently shading some zoas out with an opaque frag rack to try to tamp them down.

Back