got ethical husbandry?

Torch Collectors - question on Holy Grail Torches

What makes a torch a holy grail? When looking for a holy grail to purchase, what do you look for?
This is actually something that I have been wondering for a long time as well. To my knowledge, the only certified ones are the CC24k, TCK, and ASD. I'm sure that I am missing some but those are the most sought after... Then again, I dont really know anything about torches aside from Indo Dragon Soul :)

However, it seems that every vendor throws out Holy Grail or Holy Grail type for any torch that comes in. Almost like how every coral is considered "Rainbow"

Characteristics of a Holy Grail torch are vibrant yellow and green tentacles with a green base and purple or blue tips. I've heard the Indo and Malaysian are hardier than the Aussie torches.
Then there are lineage HG torches, I'm not too familiar with them because I refuse to pay their crazy prices lol

How to ID a Torch coral
When you say base. Is that the mouth or the bottom/beginning of the polyps or under the flesh ring?

When you say base. Is that the mouth or the bottom/beginning of the polyps or under the flesh ring?

This is a no name, imported maricultured holy grail from Indonesia. Mouth is usually green. This looks pretty much like the “ASD” HG.

1720638596420.jpeg

https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/randy’s-innovative-marine-75-ext.32907/post-477559

What are your thoughts on the below definition from extreme corals? I especially like the part where they described the tentacles!

Holy Grail Torch corals are known for their vibrant colors and unique patterns, making them stand out in any reef aquarium. The striking fluorescence of these corals adds a pop of color to your tank, creating a visually stunning underwater landscape. Additionally, Holy Grail Torch corals are prized by enthusiasts for their relatively low maintenance requirements, making them an excellent choice for reef aquarium beginners. These corals also have a distinct growth pattern, with their tentacles extending in a mesmerizing display that captivates onlookers.

Brightness is hard to tell especially in photos, but also hard to tell in person if you don’t know what to look for. I have read enough disappointing HG torch purchases that it raises a caution flag.

Video of an ASD Holy Grail at one of our LFS (Not Mine) just took the video:
The tentacle movements are mesmerizing for sure!

Last edited:
Green base color for the tentacles with very bright green and/or yellow coloration. Some holy grails are all bright green and others are a combo of bright green transitioning to yellow towards the tip. Different holy grail strains also have different intensity of brightness.

I had two holy grails, one from POTO and the other from SBB. Both died during a prolonged battle with long hair algae/dinos/cyano/GHA :(

There are Two types of Holy Grail Torches: Lineaged and Non lineaged Holy Grail.
Holy Grail are characterized by their green tentacles cover by gold with either purple, blue, light blue, or pink tips.

Lineaged Holy Grail are more pricey because they come from a known vendor, are known to be more hardy due to being in the hobby for a while and more used to our mistakes. They are usually very colorful and bright. Sometimes vendor change their holy grail torch probably due to losing the original torch. So be careful and ask questions from vendor, buy from trusted source. When purchasing a lineaged torch proof/receipt is what makes it special. It’s not lineaged unless you can trace back to the original owner. If pricing seem too cheap or too much but no proof of lineage most likely not a lineaged holy grail. All in all it’s all about buying from a trusted source. Expect pay more the more beautiful it is.

Some common lineage pieces are:
Top Tier
ASD HG. ($500-800+)
BK Chem HG (600-800+)
Mancini Lineage CC24K HG (my opinion the most rarest lineage) ($1000+)

Low Tier
TSA HG (350-500)
TCK HG (200-350)
POTO HG

Nonlineage Holy Grails are just typical holy grail without lineage to a known vendor. These can be wild fresh imported holy grail torches or imported that survive in our tank for a while, these can change over time usually more colorful as they get used to our led light tank. Also called “cooking” by torch collector. Many holy grails can be colored just take some time and patience, you can have a nice holy grail without it being a lineaged piece.

“Cooking” Parameters
- stability is key above all
PH 7.8-8.5
Alk 8.0-8.5
Ca 420-450
Magnesium 1350-1450
Phosphate .06-.15
Nitrate 3 - 15
Par 200-300

Some Nonlineaged Holy Grail
OG Holy Grail 300-350
Avalanche HG
Rapunzel HG 250-350
Banana HG 400-500
Reverse Tiger HG 350-500
Cotton Candy HG 300
Malaysian HG 300-400
Mardi Gras HG

*Buy if you like the torch, and know you can take care of it properly. You wouldn’t want to lose a couple hundred dollars worth coral.

Last edited:
There are Two types of Holy Grail Torches: Lineaged and Non lineaged Holy Grail.
Holy Grail are characterized by their green tentacles cover by gold with either purple, blue, light blue, or pink tips.

Lineaged Holy Grail are more pricey because they come from a known vendor, are known to be more hardy due to being in the hobby for a while and more used to our mistakes. They are usually very colorful and bright. Sometimes vendor change their girl grail torch probably due to losing the original torch. When purchasing a lineaged torch proof/receipt is what makes it special. It’s not lineaged unless you can trace back to the original owner. If pricing seem too cheap or too much but no proof of lineage most likely not a lineaged holy grail. All in all it’s all about buying from a trusted source. Expect pay more the more beautiful it is.

Top Tier
ASD HG. ($500-800)
BK Chem HG (600-800+)

Low Tier
TSA HG (350-500)
TCK HG (200-350)
POTO HG

Nonlineage Holy Grails are just typical holy grail without lineage to a known vendor. These can be wild fresh imported holy grail torches or imported that survive in our tank for a while, these can change over time usually more colorful as they get used to our led light tank. Also called “cooking” by torch collector. Many holy grails can be colored just take some time and patience, you can have a nice holy grail without it being a lineaged piece.

“Cooking” Parameters
PH 7.8-8.5
Alk 8.0-8.5
Ca 420-450
Magnesium 1350-1450
Phosphate .06-.15
Nitrate 3 - 15
Par 200-300

OG Holy Grail
Avalanche HG
Rapunzel HG
Banana HG
Reverse Tiger HG
Cotton Candy HG
Malaysian HG

*Buy if you like the torch, and know you can take care of it properly. You wouldn’t want to lose a couple hundred dollars worth coral.
Thanks for taking the time writing this up!

Edited: I like the way you added some prices also! Prices with corals seems to be all over the place these days, especially with Torches.

Last edited:

Lineaged Holy Grail are more pricey because they come from a known vendor, are known to be more hardy due to being in the hobby for a while and more used to our mistakes. They are usually very colorful and bright. Sometimes vendor change their girl grail torch probably due to losing the original torch. When purchasing a lineaged torch proof/receipt is what makes it special. It’s not lineaged unless you can trace back to the original owner. If pricing seem too cheap or too much but no proof of lineage most likely not a lineaged holy grail. All in all it’s all about buying from a trusted source. Expect pay more the more beautiful it is.

Top Tier
ASD HG. ($500-800)
BK Chem HG (600-800+)

Low Tier
TSA HG (350-500)
TCK HG (200-350)
POTO HG

“Cooking” Parameters
PH 7.8-8.5
Alk 8.0-8.5
Ca 420-450
Magnesium 1350-1450
Phosphate .06-.15
Nitrate 3 - 15
Par 200-300

OG Holy Grail
Avalanche HG
Rapunzel HG
Banana HG
Reverse Tiger HG
Cotton Candy HG
Malaysian HG

Great writeup thank you!!

Top Tier
ASD HG. ($500-800)
BK Chem HG (600-800+)

Low Tier
TSA HG (350-500)
TCK HG (200-350)
POTO HG

“Cooking” Parameters
PH 7.8-8.5
Alk 8.0-8.5
Ca 420-450
Magnesium 1350-1450
Phosphate .06-.15
Nitrate 3 - 15
Par 200-300

OG Holy Grail
Avalanche HG
Rapunzel HG
Banana HG
Reverse Tiger HG
Cotton Candy HG
Malaysian HG

What happened with the torch you fragged and bought at the last CFM? Were you able to get the colors out of it that you thought might come out?

Back