Our mission

Treating Ich

FullerReef

Supporting Member
Hey everyone,

Seems like our of nowhere my fish have come down with ich. I haven't added a new fish or anything in months (besides some cuc about a month ago). I was hoping maybe someone had a spare UV I could borrow and run for a while to see if that can disrupt the lifecycle of the ich. Or I am open to any other suggestions. I am hoping to stay ahead of this by any way possible.

-Cole

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240201_183339_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240201_183339_Gallery.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 59
Hard to tell in the pic but it could be lymphocytes, kinda like herpes that comes out due to stress or poor water quality. The raised protruding white bumps look more like lymph. I would need to see a better pic to properly id. Lymph is untreatable but the good news is it will go away with good water quality, vitamin soaked foods and overall good husbandry.

Thanks guys. I'll up my WCs, do you have food recommendations. I usually do rod's food, I thought that had a good variety, sometimes PE mysis. Once a week nori clip. What can I add? Everyone eats well, the tang (with my most pronounced spots) in particular eats like a pig.

Seconding Kenny that it may be lymphocystis. Good guide from humblefish here: https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/lymphocystis.10/

If it's not lymphocystis, though: the UV will help somewhat, but it will not kill off all the ich. You can run an ich management tank (UV, vitamin enriched food, good water quality, etc), but the only verified way to get rid of it in your tank is to remove all fish, treat with copper + formalin or copper + metronidazole, and leave your tank fallow for at least 72 days (45 days if you bump the temp up to 80.9 F). QT strategy can be found here: https://humble.fish/community/index...(s,commonly encountered marine fish parasites.

There's an experimental treatment with hydrogen peroxide that's shown promise here, though IIRC it's not validated and takes a while to work: https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/peroxide-h2o2-dosing-for-parasites-in-reef-tank.725/

Thanks guys. I'll up my WCs, do you have food recommendations. I usually do rod's food, I thought that had a good variety, sometimes PE mysis. Once a week nori clip. What can I add? Everyone eats well, the tang (with my most pronounced spots) in particular eats like a pig.
Rod's food is good. I think a variety of foods and enriching with selcon + garlic is helpful to give fish immune systems a bit of a boost. I feed a mix of spirulina-enriched brine + mysis, mysis, krill, atlantic copepods, ay caribe mix, pellet + flake, with Reef Nutrition oyster feast and copepods. I'll enrich one feeding a day (or one every couple days) with a few drops of Garlic Power and Selcon, as well as a sheet of nori every couple days.

Ick comes and goes in my tank, I haven’t seen it in a few months now but I’m sure it’s around.

I just feed a ton and try not to worry too much about it - trying to catch all the fish and do an extended fallow period with the fish in a sterile hospital tank sounds like it would stress them out and stress me out.

I vote to just feed more and maintain good husbandry.
:)

I had a bout of ick. Ended up buying a lifegard 55w high output for my 220. That along with H2O2 dosing cleared everything up in a few weeks. i kept dosing per the protocol. I didn't lose any fish or inverts. The side bonus is amazing water clarity and not having to clean the glass but once every 2 weeks or so

Back