Neptune Aquatics

Two blue tangs, porcupine puffer, huma huma and six clowns

You don’t see them munching on stony corals?
I have heard of some puffers munching on stony coral, and also seen people successfully keep them in large mixed reefs.

As with anything in this hobby, There are always the many variables and questions. Does the this particular puffer have a taste or interest in sps? You can quarantine him with some "easy" or fast growing sps (Keeping him well fed of course) to see what happens before introducing him into the larger tank.. but will he eventually gain a taste for sps over time? really only time will tell.

Will the stoneys that you decide to put in be able to grow faster than he can chew it up if he does?
Is the puffer eating the sps for taste or to help grind teeth? There could be crushed coral substrate or offer empty clam shells often to encourage going after the falling/floating objects instead of the placed coral.

At the end of it all, If there's any concern or fear of possible regret, then probably not the best choice to introduce them and have to hassle trying to trap and get them out. especially at your restaurant.
Keeping a well maintained routine feeding schedule usually helps none the less.

My uncle had a FOWLR with a porcupine puffer and other large predators (triggers, lionfish, etc). That puffer was probably the most aggressive whenever live goldfish got fed and would shred them to bits. I don't know if it was just conditioned that way, but I personally would be cautious about keeping it with other smaller fish you listed, even the clowns.

Last edited:
I have four questions and would love any personal experiences to help make some decisions.

I’m in the process of adding fish from my three tanks to the new 670 gallon 10 footer. The tank will be a reef tank with a lot of coral.

Question one:
Does anyone have experience keeping two blue tangs together in a tank? Other tangs in this tank are two yellow tangs, kole tang, and desjardin tang.

Question two: I love my porcupine puffer and want to put him in this tank. He is currently in a tank with a bunch of soft coral and hasn’t touched it (mushrooms, Zoas, bta, Kenya tree, rock flower men’s) but no hard corals. Any stories of porcupines in a reef tank eating or not eating stony corals?

Question three: Any experience with a huma in a reef tank? Mine is in the same tank with the porcupine above.

Question four: I have six clowns all in hosted pairs, two regular percula, another two percula and a snowflake and black clown. Any stories on more than one pair of clowns in a tank?

For reference other fish in the tank will be: two yellow tangs, two blue tangs, kole tang, desjardin tang, clown pair, yellow goby, six line wrasse, leopard wrasse, file fish, blue damsel, two dotty backs, pistol shrimp
the only issue I see here is that puffer. they get huge and can be extremely aggressive, even in a 670g tank. can being the key word though. I would also say there's a more than 50/50 chance he munches on coral and I personally would not risk it. I also wouldn't risk a humu humu in there, unless you aren't keeping really nice corals. 3 zebrasomas would be the next concern, but I wouldn't worry about it in that size tank. As for clowns, you could probably have 3 pairs in that size tank without issue - can't speak to them breeding though.

the only issue I see here is that puffer. they get huge and can be extremely aggressive, even in a 670g tank. can being the key word though. I would also say there's a more than 50/50 chance he munches on coral and I personally would not risk it. I also wouldn't risk a humu humu in there, unless you aren't keeping really nice corals. 3 zebrasomas would be the next concern, but I wouldn't worry about it in that size tank. As for clowns, you could probably have 3 pairs in that size tank without issue - can't speak to them breeding though.

Wooooooo.... hi Chris!

Back