Our mission

Utility Sink - questions

derek_SR

Supporting Member
My contractor has found a way to install a big utility sink into the garage right next to my water changing station. I am hugely excited for this - it will simplify my plans for AWC quite a bit, and it will just be so nice to have a sewer drain and water access right there.

Since this will be a clean install, I want to have RODI tubing connected to the drain as well as hard-lined to the water without having to connect to the faucet. What is the best way to accomplish these things?
For the drain, certainly there is something more robust than this thing:

And for the water line - I'd like a small ball valve plumbed in with a john guest fitting, I guess - is that the right way to go about it? Cold water only (though the sink fixture will have cold and hot both).

Interested in any other best practices or lessons learned from folks who have a utility sink!

I always had the drain just go into the utility sink. You are in the right track with the feed. You tee off the cold water supply and adapt to what you want
Thanks, do you know what fitting to use? We'd be teeing off of a standard 1' copper water main pipe.

Or maybe something like this, teeing off of the 3/8" line going to the water faucet?

@Srt4eric halp!

Something like that should work. Alternately, they make hose thread x john guest (I think that's the right term?) fittings; I have one on the cold water line near my water heater.

For the drain, I've been using a drain saddle without issue. It's not pressurized so there isn't much stress on it. But if you do want something more built-in'ish you can add this tee to your drain tailpiece

1715806883399.png

My contractor has found a way to install a big utility sink into the garage right next to my water changing station. I am hugely excited for this - it will simplify my plans for AWC quite a bit, and it will just be so nice to have a sewer drain and water access right there.

Since this will be a clean install, I want to have RODI tubing connected to the drain as well as hard-lined to the water without having to connect to the faucet. What is the best way to accomplish these things?
For the drain, certainly there is something more robust than this thing:

And for the water line - I'd like a small ball valve plumbed in with a john guest fitting, I guess - is that the right way to go about it? Cold water only (though the sink fixture will have cold and hot both).

Interested in any other best practices or lessons learned from folks who have a utility sink!

I’d used something else besides a saddle clamp. They damage the drain line permanently because you have to drill a hole and have a tendency to leak over time. What @CaseyP suggested is a better solution. And you can just add a blank stem if you ever need to remove your water waste line.

1/4 inch Plug for RO Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Fittings Valve Pack of 5
https://a.co/d/4tLCWGE

Last edited:
That john guest tee is fine

It looks like it just threads inline with standard 3/8" faucet supply hose...what throws me is the "compression" note about each threaded fitting? Is that just an error in the product catalog or is that some weird non-standard thread thing?

It looks like it just threads inline with standard 3/8" faucet supply hose...what throws me is the "compression" note about each threaded fitting? Is that just an error in the product catalog or is that some weird non-standard thread thing?
3/8 compression and 3/8 pipe thread are two different sizes. 3/8 compression is the size angle stops and supply lines are. If you got a 3/8 pipe nipple it would not fit to it.

For the sink drain I would suggest ceramic vs stainless steel. I tried to completely eliminate any stainless steel from my utility sink given the salt water from cleaning protein skimmers etc will eventually start corroding.

Back