Cali Kid Corals

Vincent's 1st Big Tank

Thought it was time to start this journal.

Tank is a Deep Sea Aquatics 190g measuring 60.5/27.5/27.5. I purchased it off Craigslist from a fellow reefer who had decided on a different tank size. It is used, has some scratches on the glass (I don't know if they are very visible yet) and I may try to buff them out before it gets fill with water.

IMG_1643.JPG

Stand was built by fellow reefer @Flagg37 in a barter trade. Built of 2X6 top frame with 2X4 bottom. I am planning on skinning it.

Equipment list -

Sump - Synergy Reef CL44 Sump in white/red and matching 10g ATO container.

Lights - Kessil AP700 x 2 on mounts from 6061.com

Skimmer - Bubble King Double Cone 200 w/ RD3 DC pump

Return - Red Dragon 3 80w DC pump

Pumps - Neptune Wav

Calcium Reactor - Vertex RX-C 6D fed by a Masterflex 7550-30 brushless peristaltic pump and a custom CO2 regulator

Doser - Pacific Sun Kore 5th Doser (since I'm running a CA Rx, this will be used for dosing supplements etc). It also has a DC pump Auto Water Change feature that I may incorporate in the future. I will be using the ATO system included in the doser until Neptune releases the optical eye sensor.

Neptune Apex with various modules.

Heater - Finnex 800w Titanium Heater Tubes X 2 (controlled by Apex)

Reactions: Nav
So right now, I'm in the 1st stages of getting the tank setup.

I had an electrician come and install 2 20A circuits solely for the tank.

9391d33df766b67a43b3ed3cb9ae9259.jpg

Today, I setup a 40b tank to transfer the rock/coral/fish over so I can tear down the old tank.

IMG_1738.JPG

Its almost done filling. The plan is to move the rocks with coral over 1st. Then move the fish and the loose coral frags. I'm still debating on moving the sand. I do have a Melanarus Wrasse that sleeps in the sand and numerous snails and 3 starfish that mow the sand so I'm tempted to do so.

I'll see how it goes with the rock move 1st.

I just watched a brs video today about calcium reactors where they recommended not to use a peristaltic pump. Something about pressure and it running 24/7. Have you read otherwise?

As for the sand, id probably use mostly new sand with a few cups of the old stuff unless it's super clean and you can scoop it out easy and won't foul the new tank, but that very unusual

Last edited:
FTS 4/26/16

FTS.jpg

Picture of the sump. That is the Trigger 30 I picked up from @wpeterson. Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer, still breaking in. Jebao DC9000 return. Agriculture LED fixture off Amazon, 600W! O.O

Sump.jpg

Some new additions.

Leng Sy Montipora. Definitely a legacy piece! Hopefully this is a legit piece but so far looking good.

LengSy.jpg

Miyagi Tort.

MiyagiTort-2.jpg

Unique Coral Pikachu.

UCPikachu.jpg

Reef Raft Wolverine

RRWolverine.jpg

Neon Green BTA I picked up from CRC

NeonGreenBTA.jpg

Aussie Gold Torch

GoldTorch.jpg

I think this is Blue Voodoo

BlueVoodoo.jpg

I may have over done it this time!

My 2 acro rocks are pretty full.

3e7f39da421612f476a62fa654e2447b.jpg

003949968c69cea2e831e98d379704dd.jpg

Have a few more I need to find places for.

Then I just picked up a PC Rainbow and Jedi Mindtrick.

AND these gorgeous chalices. Check out the colors!

94d1adf0109cd18b72183341c190b6a6.jpg

9d3dd7f9a896d6f0fce2ba6bf3d0ac6d.jpg

ded3755909c337d494115c5fb8dc6683.jpg

From top to bottom,

Cornbread's

Crazy Clown

Flaming Bugatti

Rainbow Crush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh super cool! You got the UC Pikachu. I've been eyeing that one too! I have a RR Wolverine from CRC it's mostly brown but the tip and coralites are turning gold.

Wah!? Super cool chalice frags! Dropped some bank! The Rainbow Crush and Crazy Clown look sooo nice!

Drooling over that Rainbow Crush.

The SC Dynamite chalice at CRC in the SPS system has actually been growing pretty fast. It was fragged in half about 8 months ago. Hopefully your rainbow chalices grow fast too.

Last edited:
Random question about your FTS - what is that red-orange tentacled thing on the right, above the green ones? Anemone?
Awesome acros!

I think you are seeing the Japanese Dendrophyllia.
You have to feed dendro's, right?? @Vhuang168 , Vincent, your tank, corals, and pictures are AMAZING! I am literally drooling - those chalices are gorgeous. I hope everything does well! There will be a fight for space once those acro's start growing!!!

Back