High Tide Aquatics

Vincerama2's 180 gallon "Wifebane" reef project!

I had it mixed, 1/3rd Sulfur and the rest aragonite.
I see some people separate it. A key in a Sulfur reactor is the lack of Oxygen for the bacteria to grow; once it has populated, opening to change/ammend amounts, mans bacteria will die as it contacts the air therefore the need to restart it and disposing of the old media.

Two-yearly report... All the fish died when the return pump went out :(

Why? Well, I was using a return pump that had faithfully returned water to my tank and it's predecessor for 20 years, running 24/7 and either somethig got stuck in the pump and knocked all the fins off the impellor, it the impeller just broke apart. The thing still runs ... but there are no fins on it. Some of the fins were in the housing.

Major suck and I posted a thread about it else where.

No now is time to get rid of the algae and aiptasia. There is still a great clam in there and my BTAs of course. I'll probably get a bunch of snails and go invert for a while, and slowly get some coral frags in there, now that there are no fish to feed and spike nitrates.

We'll see how it goes ... going back to "Reef" from "Saltwater tank".

The bummer was of course the kids (well only one of the kids) crying and them having a fish funeral. Hear breaking. I've had some of them for over a decade.

Well, tank reset time.

V

I'm not in the midst of installing a RAIN2 algae scrubber.
So I decided to remove spare rock out of the sump and as I reach into the sump I notice that ... there's like 2 inches of MUD on the bottom!

Hmm, a decade of fish poo accumulated there...

So I'm going t to waterchange the sump, using my "Homer" bucket wet vac, which I highly recommend for people. It's a vacuum head you just attach to the top of a bucket. Get if from HD.

V

Nitrates at around 10ppm. With no fish = no heavy feeding, and the sulphur denitrator which has been running for maybe a year.

Added the RAIN 2 Algae Turf Scrubber.

The tank is still full of aiptasia and algae, maybe the ATS will help with the algae, let's see how it goes.

I should rename it Vincebane.

V

I bought some Reef Flux ... OMG! It works! However, there is still some in the tank. Strands and roots of it. I think it has to do with it being shaded.
I'm going to do a water change and probably get more of it to finish the job before it can take a foothold again. Will likely remove offending rocks as well.

Still an aptaisia and majano infested nightmare.

V

Back