Our mission

Wazzupmac's Money Pit - Red Sea Reefer S-850 G2+

wazzupmac

Supporting Member
I'm going all in on another build. The first big tank in my office ended in a failed seam and I was down for all of 1 week. Then @EBJ listed his replacement Red Sea Reefer S-850 G2+ for sale and I bit. Since then, I've been slowly accumulating the equipment I would need for a rebuild and for slow and continued success. I recently moved from Santa Clara to Castro Valley - joint custody required me to be close to their school in Oakland (Head-Royce). My old Red Sea 250 G1 will likely become an eel tank for my son. He's fascinated by dinosaurs and reptiles and eels are the closest saltwater creature we can find that can fit in a home and not kill us (crocodile/alligator not allowed though I haven't asked the leasing office). If no eel, I will likely turn it into a QT/coral/or nem tank. I'm thinking QT to maximize success.

Equipment I will definitely use and install at the appropriate time:
Tank: Red Sea Reefer S-850 G2+
Lighting: Kessil A500x - 3
Filtration: Reefmat 1200
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal 200-INT (we'll see if the neck cleaner fits in the stand) with CO2 scrubber
Controller: Neptune Apex A3 Pro
Doser: ReefDose 4
Testing: Neptune Trident (sending to Neptune for full refurbished unit)
UV: Pentair 40W
Return Pumps: Neptune COR20 (dual return pump set up)
Pumps: ReefWave 45 (2)////MP60 (2)///MP40(2)
I'm thinking of putting the MP60's on opposite ends to increase flow based on where I go with coral and the MP40's will go on the back glass to minimize dead spots (likely overkill)

Going to construct a light stand out of 8020 to sit behind tank and hold lights without sitting on the tank and stand. I'm excited about this.

I have a BRS 7-Stage RODi system with a booster pump -- my pressure went to 80 so I'm happy. I need to change out all membranes and resin over the next day or so. The TDS meter is saying the water out of the tap is 2 -- seems too good to be true- but it's 0 after going through the system which I trust.

Equipment that I likely won't use but have and will sell: clearly I buy too much!!! Somethings can go now and somethings I'll see how the setup looks in 2 weeks
AquaUV 25W sterilizer (2) with new bulbs
Tunze MAR 3182 Macro Algae Reactor
Radion XR30 Pro Gen 4 - sold
Neptune COR20//COR15 - I have 1 extra of each but will keep one for back up and/or run the UV
Ecotech L1 (2) - was gonna use them for return pumps. but will likely stick to COR20
EB832 (2) - one needs new PSU (should be in a box somewhere but I'm not likely to fix it)
Neptune Trident - will need to be sent to Neptune for trident replacement program
BRS 1.1 doser (2)
Neptune GRO
Kessil Mounting Arm (2)
Vortech Battery Backup (2)
Neptune DOS (3)
Neptune DDR (2)

wazzupmac

Last edited:
Some early pix…

Attachments

• IMG_4552.jpeg
    IMG_4552.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4528.jpeg
    IMG_4528.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4534.jpeg
    IMG_4534.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4535.jpeg
    IMG_4535.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 91
Welcome to Castro Valley. CV has amazingly low TDS tap water, usually in the 40-50s or less. I’d be surprised if the tap was that low at 2 TDS though. Usually after sediment filters and carbon block it’s at 1 or 0.

Last edited:
Here we go again. Hope you keep it thriving this time. No more crash!!!

I have his Radion XR30 Pro Gen 4 in SJ or frag swap...if anybody wants it.

I went to the same school as your son so I know what kind of $acrifice$ my parents had to make, so definitely good on you for being able to balance it all! Can't wait to see what this monster of a tank looks like when you get it set up.

Those linear bearing$ o_O Are you going to have a cross bar mounted between the two posts for the lights or are the kessils going be to individually mounted on each bearing? Check my post if you're looking for ideas on how to mount Kessils directly to 8020. Just need an M5 male to 1/4 female, a 1/4 ball head, and 1/4 male to a t-nut that sits in the 8020 slot. https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/caseys-red-sea-s-1000.33335/post-484431

There will be a crossbar - 72” of 3015 - that bolts into the linear bearings and then the lights will slide onto the bottom side of the 3015. I purchased 3D printed attachments that were designed to mount to a500x and fit in the grooves of the 3015.

1 picture shows the 3D printed part, another shows an example of the cross bar (the ones in picture are 3075 - I think - that are attached to the 1515 and bolted into studs at 2 different heights for strength and stability), and the other pictures show how the a500x’s will sit within the 8020.

And the a500x will sit about 22” from the waterline with 35 degree deflectors- BRS did a video demonstrating that they are very effective at that height with the deflectors. I have 3 a500x’s and I can work on spacing by sliding them optimize par and minimize shadows with my par meter. And the linear bearings allow me to center the lights with precision regardless of where I ultimately space the tank from the wall, push lights back for maintenance and to reduce light spillage, if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_4603.jpeg
    IMG_4603.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4602.jpeg
    IMG_4602.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4604.jpeg
    IMG_4604.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4601.jpeg
    IMG_4601.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 61
200+lbs of dry sand shows up tomorrow - will be fun rinsing - yay

Plumbing to be built over the weekend - time willing (got the kids this weekend) - going stock!

Then install the sump, reefmat, return pumps, skimmer (we’ll see if it fits with neck cleaner), reefdose 4, and doors. Hopefully by next weekend

Just installed the crossbar on the light assembly built from 80/20. Attached the lights to play with moving the lights back and forth and side to side.

3 A500X with 35 degree reflectors.

Next up is figuring out where to mount the power bricks - might opt for small plastic totes with holes for ventilation behind the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_4626.jpeg
    IMG_4626.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4625.jpeg
    IMG_4625.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 64
I used the exact same 3x a500x lights, similar mounting height, same 35deg reflectors in my build.

Loved the design and look but eventually had to go for something with more spread due to SPS shading issues. Maybe I missed it above but if you’re planning to grow a bunch of sticks in this tank, I’d consider the eventual need for more light!

If not - it’s an awesome solution and I loved everything about the setup.

It’s all in my journal but here’s where I started:
IMG_8658.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed the dual COR20’s and plumbed with 3/4 silicone tubing, Reefmat 1200 plumbed in, Reef Octopus Regal 200sss installed, and CO2 scrubber to be attached when I get to worrying about PH in the tank (few months away I presume)

I have to admit that I’ve been gun shy over the last week. In the back of my head, I keep having bad dreams about starting to fill this thing and it leaking.

I did leak test the overflow by pouring water in and checking for leaks into the cabinet but putting 200+ gallons of water into the tank is giving me jitters. Gonna fill the return chamber and fire up the pumps to check the return system - baby steps - Friday or Saturday.

Friend should be coming over on Saturday to help me mount the RODI (while the kids play in the pool) and putting a “hole” in the wall to the laundry room where it’s plumbed.

Attachments

• IMG_4652.jpeg
    IMG_4652.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4651.jpeg
    IMG_4651.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4650.jpeg
    IMG_4650.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4649.jpeg
    IMG_4649.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4648.jpeg
    IMG_4648.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4646.jpeg
    IMG_4646.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 47
My leaks came from the extension tubes between the main sump and frag/refugium tank. I think I had torqued them too tight that the seals deformed.

I had the rodi filling the tank which eventually flowed to the sump overnight. Woke up to a couple gallons on the floor :confused:

My leaks came from the extension tubes between the main sump and frag/refugium tank. I think I had torqued them too tight that the seals deformed.

I had the rodi filling the tank which eventually flowed to the sump overnight. Woke up to a couple gallons on the floor :confused:
I’ll keep an eye out for that.

Leak detected while prepping water and it’s from the place @CaseyP mentioned. Caught it after maybe 1 gallon, if I had to guess.

Anyone else have similar install/set up issue and thoughts on fix. I reached out to Casey.

There at 2 connectors so 4 potential leak/seal points - 2 on each connector. Only 1 has a leak.

Attachments

• IMG_4656.jpeg
    IMG_4656.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4657.jpeg
    IMG_4657.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 55
Leak fixed - and now filling the tank and installing rocks. Producing 200+ gallon of RODI is taking its time even with a 200gpd system.

I’m mixing the saltwater and then pumping that in. Doing that since some of my rock is live and don’t want to shock it by making/mixing in the tank.

All going according to plan. Hopefully, it’s done by tonight and then I’ll get the pumps and heater going!

Might stop by High Tide this afternoon to start getting some ideas about future stocking and compatibility.

Attachments

• IMG_4684.jpeg
    IMG_4684.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4681.jpeg
    IMG_4681.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4662.jpeg
    IMG_4662.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4686.jpeg
    IMG_4686.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4682.jpeg
    IMG_4682.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4683.jpeg
    IMG_4683.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 50
Just as a PSA for other folks I think if you're over 200gal you can order a seawater delivery from Bob to save time.

Back