Jestersix

Wazzupmac's Money Pit - Red Sea Reefer S-850 G2+

Tank is filled and it's cleared up pretty nicely -- was brownish orangish from the flocculant.

Reefmat has polished this water unbelievably well - I've never had a tank this clear without doing extra stuff. I might add a little more rock in the middle - I have some rock that was cured and is in the back yard. It's not cycled but I'm in this for the long haul with a mostly natural cycle. Will add some cycled rock (the stuff on the right) and have a little more that I may put in the sump and/or scatter around the edges of the tank.

My salinity is low but I'm slowly raising it. I have a brew of hyper salinity water that I mixed up last night that should bring everything up to 1.026///35ppt (think that is going to be my target unless some folks tell me otherwise). I'll start measuring all of my other parameters when I finish adding some rock and more sand -- the Reefwave 45 redistributed a lot of sand. I have the dual COR20 going at about 50% now. I have the option to install MP40 and MP60's to supplement flow but I'm months away from needing that.

Still have to install the UV but no rush on that. No lights on for now but I will have to play with them to get an early read on my shadows and see if I want to look into a 4th (if I can get it for the right price)

I'd encourage folks to chime in on what I should be doing next. When should clean up crew be introduced? Etc?

Attachments

• IMG_4700.jpeg
    IMG_4700.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4699.jpeg
    IMG_4699.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4698.jpeg
    IMG_4698.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4697.jpeg
    IMG_4697.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4696.jpeg
    IMG_4696.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4695.jpeg
    IMG_4695.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I'd encourage folks to chime in on what I should be doing next. When should clean up crew be introduced? Etc?
CUC timeline will depend on the order in which you turn on lights, add fish, etc. I would personally introduce astrae/trochus once the lights go on and start growing algae, and then wait until you start feeding the tank to add Nassarius/Conch. Turbos and other problem solvers can be added slightly later and as needed imo.

Tank is filled and it's cleared up pretty nicely -- was brownish orangish from the flocculant.

Reefmat has polished this water unbelievably well - I've never had a tank this clear without doing extra stuff. I might add a little more rock in the middle - I have some rock that was cured and is in the back yard. It's not cycled but I'm in this for the long haul with a mostly natural cycle. Will add some cycled rock (the stuff on the right) and have a little more that I may put in the sump and/or scatter around the edges of the tank.

My salinity is low but I'm slowly raising it. I have a brew of hyper salinity water that I mixed up last night that should bring everything up to 1.026///35ppt (think that is going to be my target unless some folks tell me otherwise). I'll start measuring all of my other parameters when I finish adding some rock and more sand -- the Reefwave 45 redistributed a lot of sand. I have the dual COR20 going at about 50% now. I have the option to install MP40 and MP60's to supplement flow but I'm months away from needing that.

Still have to install the UV but no rush on that. No lights on for now but I will have to play with them to get an early read on my shadows and see if I want to look into a 4th (if I can get it for the right price)

Very interesting rock towers on the left side. I really like the look.

Very interesting rock towers on the left side. I really like the look.
It’s just 2 of the Caribsea south seas coral trees next to each other to fill space. The tank is huge in all 3 dimensions that you have to think differently to fill it but not crowd it. The other rock structure actually has a 1-2’ canyon between the side that starts with a 3-6” hole towards the glass to provide a hidden space for flow and hiding space - picture might not do it justice

Attachments

• IMG_4702.jpeg
    IMG_4702.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4701.jpeg
    IMG_4701.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 16
It’s just 2 of the Caribsea south seas coral trees next to each other to fill space. The tank is huge in all 3 dimensions that you have to think differently to fill it but not crowd it. The other rock structure actually has a 1-2’ canyon between the side that starts with a 3-6” hole towards the glass to provide a hidden space for flow and hiding space - picture might not do it justice
Yes I couldn't make out the canyon or hide out from the previous pictures. Just curious are the trees cemented or held with rods?

Easiest way to bring up salinity safely is top off with seawater. I don't like mixing a high concentration brine because some of the elements can crash out of solution since they have relatively low solubility compared to other ions.

Back