Reef nutrition

what are you going to do Jeremy

sfboarders said:
tuberider said:
That's why it's so black (the water) it's much more shallow than you'd think, like little bonsais, I was bobbing up and down waiting for a set out there and my foot hit the bottom, I looked down and all I saw was black and I then realized it's because of the black reef :O I was way out there too..

Low tide? Reminds me when I surfed at Lahaina couple years ago. That place is freaking shallow. Sit on my board waiting and my feet can touch the bottom. I was afraid to eat it. Luckily I never did and because I was extra cautious.
I seem to recall that Davenport Landing gets REAL shallow too! I remember telling myself, "just don't eat it" !

screebo said:
sfboarders said:
tuberider said:
That's why it's so black (the water) it's much more shallow than you'd think, like little bonsais, I was bobbing up and down waiting for a set out there and my foot hit the bottom, I looked down and all I saw was black and I then realized it's because of the black reef :O I was way out there too..

Low tide? Reminds me when I surfed at Lahaina couple years ago. That place is freaking shallow. Sit on my board waiting and my feet can touch the bottom. I was afraid to eat it. Luckily I never did and because I was extra cautious.
I seem to recall that Davenport Landing gets REAL shallow too! I remember telling myself, "just don't eat it" !

If you go over to the left it can get shallow but to the right it only breaks when it's massively huge.

To the left also depends on tide. FWIW I've nevev had any issues with that reef :)

Reef breaks are the best, I'm not sure why you hate them. If you bail, simply learn to bail correctly :p Most people have no issues with reef break, especially around here where most our breaks are reef breaks.

I'll take reefs over closeout death walls in town here, I've only destroyed my tail bone at the cove getting sucked over (bled through my wetsuit). HMB OTOH, I've broken several bones, stitches, thought for sure I was going to drown a few times, beach break can be very, very nasty.

Here in SC nearly all the accidents are tourists diving into sand and breaking there necks. Umm, don't dive into water you are not sure how deep it is :)

My friend got paralyzed for life surfing a beach break. I guy I knew in JrHS was killed after a minor spill in HI on a sand bar. He got a concussion, thought nothing of it and was dead by morning :(

I'd rather surf reef breaks too. Much more consistent shoulders. Unlike the beach breaks here when it's big it usually nothing but BIG dumping closeouts. With the exception of a few beaches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9JoxrnnJr0

I love the rip, there's no paddling out, just let the current do the work, if it's real bad you wind up in Pacifica.

I'm gonna run down to the beach and see what it looks like BRB.

Well its come up quite a bit since this morning, sets are running from 15-20ft faces on the west swell, and 10-15 on the NW swell. Tomorrow is a recipe for disaster, lots of south wind chop from today through this evening, along with two different swells shifting the bowl around, not to mention the occasional double up that's bound to happen with the combo swell catching everyone inside. Sad to say but but from my perspective there's a good chance of someone getting critically injured or even killed tomorrow, it really was a bad call if you ask me. What do I know though, I paddled over there a few years ago while surfing another break nearby and pissed myself I was so scared.

tuberider said:
Tomorrow is a recipe for disaster, lots of south wind chop from today through this evening, along with two different swells shifting the bowl around, not to mention the occasional double up that's bound to happen with the combo swell catching everyone inside. Sad to say but but from my perspective there's a good chance of someone getting critically injured or even killed tomorrow, it really was a bad call if you ask me.

Yea, the locals voted "No." because of the swell and the winds according to SF Gate. I'm gonna try to wake up early tomorrow and see what the surf is like and try to head out before I hit the frag swap.

Bruce knows too, he lives right up the street from me is a super cool guy and a hell of a body surfer. I'm surprised he didn't mention the different swell angles though.

Back