High Tide Aquatics

What do you want from EcoTech & Neptune being under the same umbrella?

phatduckk

Supporting Member
I watched the Reefing Report episode that @Devon linked where they discuss the "leaked" G6 & other Neptune & EcoTech things...
That got me thinking; "what do I really want from this union?".

Personally i'd like to see a "made for Apex" versions of some of the EcoTech gear. Specifically I want as many wires to go away as possible. Assuming native integration of MP40s, Vector, Versas etc I'd love to see them just plug in via a 1Link; no power cables, no power bricks, no bulky controller... just a 1Link cable. The WAVs, Trident, DOS do that - why not an mp40?

That's my big wishlist item. What would everyone else like to see?

how about products that work and are moisture/humidity resistant? I've lost so many pieces or have had to deal with electronic failures due to a bit of moisture or condensation. a lil gasket to seal the seams would go a long way...

how about products that work and are moisture/humidity resistant? I've lost so many pieces or have had to deal with electronic failures due to a bit of moisture or condensation. a lil gasket to seal the seams would go a long way...
Pretty hard to seal and cool things at the same time while keeping it small and affordable. Buy some conformal coating and cross your fingers.

Pretty hard to seal and cool things at the same time while keeping it small and affordable. Buy some conformal coating and cross your fingers.
Comment really on the Neptune stuff. A thin gasket or even silicone would have averted many problems. No real impact to cooling... DOS and EB832 are great starts.

Whatever you want to happen is a pipe dream besides Apex should control everything to strengthen the vertical integration.

This is the worst thing to happen to these companies, for the community and anyone who didn’t get paid in the buyout.

Reality is the VCs need to make more headroom in profits to pay for their investment. They will do that by first cutting the marketing of all the companies and bring under one group. Already happening. Look who does not have jobs anymore.

Next, cut competing products as that costs them money in engineering and internal competition.

Next will consolidate manufacturing. Hope the US jobs stay.

Consolidate troubleshooting. Good luck calling Neptune for help in a few years.

So yah, increase reasons people will buy both products with Apex ready so they get more of your $ at the expense of everything else.

Comment really on the Neptune stuff. A thin gasket or even silicone would have averted many problems. No real impact to cooling... DOS and EB832 are great starts.
EB832 gets hot and needs a fan. Gasket useless. Dos gets hot too. Been trying to install one is an enclosure for outdoor use. Ran it for a few hours with temp gun. It got hot so now I need to get a vented enclosure. Heat kills more the water and putting electronics in a salty humid area is really hard. They need to manage heat first as if it overheats, it is a manf problem. If it gets water in it, customer problem.

I’d be happy if they maintain the same excellent customer service and hobbyist focus, while leveraging their size and capital to integrate various products better and come out with updated products on a faster product cycle.

Personally, I would hate to see a fan added to any of these products.
That just means you are adding dust and moving parts to list of things that will fail.

But I totally agree that heat and moisture are a serious problems for all these products.
I moved my Apex/etc well away from my skimmer. Like 6 feet.
And they are well vented.

Getting heat out of a sealed box is not trivial, but it is not impossible at all.
At least for the little bits of heat Apex/whatever produce.
Better yet, simply don't generate the heat in the first place.
Heat is all about poor efficiency, but more efficient components cost more so ..... oh well.

I’d be happy if they maintain the same excellent customer service and hobbyist focus....
Agree.
That is basically the one thing that Neptune Systems does well.
Their hardware is not crap, but it is a long ways from great.
So if they lose that edge, they are going to start losing market share quickly.

Back