Neptune Aquatics

What do you wish to change for DBTC standard rule?

This thread is to aim fine tune the rule to make it more flexible and more reasonable.

ie: It does not make sense to me if I put cheap coral and basic coral to DBTC. I rather pay it forward. I seen some case newbie don't know much about the coral, drive 20-30 min to pick up one DBTC coral later find out the coral is does not worth the time spend and keep, then need to follow the rule to update the coral and condition, then must report and update the info before trade or sale. To me it hassle.

I believe the reefer who give away coral know what it worth, that why most of the time I don't see nice, highend or expensive coral on DBTC list. I maybe wrong since I don't know much about corals.

I also seen DBTC giver pick the person who they want to give to. I am fine with giver to give to who ever they want but should it be first ask first get?

I understand other reefer have different opinion but should the club consider what corals should be on DBTC or Pay It Forward.

It’s all about what the person making the chain decides.
Is $ amount all that matters? Or is it getting a coral you like? Or finding something that is captive prop? Or from a certain person and system you trust? Or do you thinks it’s cool to take part in a program like this? Maybe the longer than a decade lineage of a certain corals excites you?
I don’t understand why asking people to update how their corals you have them is doing and to pass some on to other members is so hard?
If it is too hard then do pay it forward.
One of the reasons things in dbtc are often “cheap” are partly because they grow fast, and also partly because dbtc has helped it become less rare. That’s part of the point of the program.
We are trying to encourage people to add “nicer” corals to the program with the group buys I have started organizing that will lead to the annual dbtc swap.

This thread is to aim fine tune the rule to make it more flexible and more reasonable.

ie: It does not make sense to me if I put cheap coral and basic coral to DBTC. I rather pay it forward. I seen some case newbie don't know much about the coral, drive 20-30 min to pick up one DBTC coral later find out the coral is does not worth the time spend and keep, then need to follow the rule to update the coral and condition, then must report and update the info before trade or sale. To me it hassle.

I believe the reefer who give away coral know what it worth, that why most of the time I don't see nice, highend or expensive coral on DBTC list. I maybe wrong since I don't know much about corals.

I also seen DBTC giver pick the person who they want to give to. I am fine with giver to give to who ever they want but should it be first ask first get?

I understand other reefer have different opinion but should the club consider what corals should be on DBTC or Pay It Forward.

So you think dbtc should only be expensive high end corals? And everything else should Be forced by the club to be given away in pay it forward instead? I don’t understand what you’re getting at here really.
I don’t find it hard to follow people’s rules, and I don’t understand no why’s you bunks that’s not such a burden?

So you think dbtc should only be expensive high end corals? And everything else should Be forced by the club to be given away in pay it forward instead? I don’t understand what you’re getting at here really.
I don’t find it hard to follow people’s rules, and I don’t understand no why’s you bunks that’s not such a burden?
Same here. Before I take on a DBTC I read the rules and make sure I can comply. If I can, I put my name on the DBTC and consider myself as if I signed a contract with the chain owner.

I’ve seen comments from members feeling like DBTC is limited to select members before so given this question I want to explain my selection process since I know from viewing the posts it could seem unfair in some of my threads.

I go for simplicity, my main requirement is seeing a tank journal or pics, beyond that I usually distribute to people able to pick up from me or can meet at an LFS I’m going to anyways. Or in a recent deal I gave @Drew 24 Y a bunch of newly started DBTC because he was going to be picking up gsp from another member at the same time as me and he was a new member I wanted to give some propagated zoas to in order to start their tank off nicely.

I’d love to do first come first serve but it really comes down to ease of trade for me, and my goal with DBTC is to have a backup while also helping the club have sustainable corals to enjoy in their tanks. I’m not sure if others select that way too, but I wanted to share my perspective as someone who has made a couple DBTC since joining last year.

I avoid first come first serve on some chains. I also try to spread, so first I have one frag per reefer rule, then if a frag stand for a while i open it up to everyone..
I always have do not sell or trade until you frag ot twice and put back on the chain. And some coral that I buy from folks who sell coral (lile BC or randy) I have never sell rule to avoid impacting these sellers business.

It’s all about what the person making the chain decides.
Is $ amount all that matters? Or is it getting a coral you like? Or finding something that is captive prop? Or from a certain person and system you trust? Or do you thinks it’s cool to take part in a program like this? Maybe the longer than a decade lineage of a certain corals excites you?
I don’t understand why asking people to update how their corals you have them is doing and to pass some on to other members is so hard?
If it is too hard then do pay it forward.
One of the reasons things in dbtc are often “cheap” are partly because they grow fast, and also partly because dbtc has helped it become less rare. That’s part of the point of the program.
We are trying to encourage people to add “nicer” corals to the program with the group buys I have started organizing that will lead to the annual dbtc swap.

Depending on the piece, my main concern would be that someone who has demonstrated success with something similar is the one picked.

Point-by-point responses/considerations of your proposals:

There's no requirement that a coral be put into DBTC versus paying it forward, and your reasoning for why you might want to do one versus the other is valid. However, just because a coral is cheap/'basic' doesn't mean nobody wants it and it's not worth having as a DBTC. If the newbie in this situation decides they no longer want the coral, it's as easy as offering it to the next person in the chain/offering it back to the club. Additionally, regardless of the coral, it's not a good idea to sign up for a specific DBTC if you're unable/unwilling to abide by the rules put forward.

You're not wrong that hobbyists know what things are worth. However, a big part of why higher-end/nicer/more expensive corals are higher-end, nicer, and more expensive is because they grow slower, are much rarer, or are more difficult to keep. As an example, look at @Kensington Reefer 's gold torch and the difficulties propagating that piece has faced. @Coral reefer noted below that a big part of why the club is doing these group buys is to get some of these nicer/higher-end pieces into the club and propagate them.

A topic of discussion might be how we could offer additional incentives for putting higher-end corals in DBTC but, since I'm on my lunch break right now, I can't really think up any off the top of my head.

There's nothing wrong with someone starting a DBTC to make it first come, first serve. I do not think this should be mandated, however, for the reasons I listed above. Until the chain is established, someone putting a coral into DBTC is putting a (potentially significant) chunk of their own money on the line. I understand how this might be seen as nepotism/favoritism within the club, but I think the simpler, more correct answer is that a member who's been here longer is more likely to have a track record of success growing coral and more likely to stick around.

I don't think it should be up to the club to mandate which corals are on DBTC and which are on PIF. One, someone would have to be responsible for policing that. Two, it's a self-correcting problem: if a DBTC coral isn't wanted, no chains will be completed and the person can move it to PIF (or sell it).

For me, the spirit of DBTC is up to the member who cares enough about a particular piece that should something happen to their own piece, there's a back-up. It can be a common piece, or maybe a common piece with a unique characteristic... or a high end piece... doesn't really matter.

Only thing that matter is the member who starts the chain cares enough about that piece to want to have some insurance against total loss.

For me, the spirit of DBTC is up to the member who cares enough about a particular piece that should something happen to their own piece, there's a back-up. It can be a common piece, or maybe a common piece with a unique characteristic... or a high end piece... doesn't really matter.

Only thing that matter is the member who starts the chain cares enough about that piece to want to have some insurance against total loss.
+1 on that

or to just want to share it within the club without people taking it for free and selling it.

or to just want to share it within the club without people taking it for free and selling it.
thats why i mainly do it.
healthy prorogation and share with the club. i believe one of the advantages of our club, is that users have the chance of access to different coral once they prove they can take care of.

Last edited:
Back