High Tide Aquatics

What would be your dream tank?

My dream (on a smaller scale) is still to build an outdoor reef tank.... have all the things ready. Just need to save $$ to have the deck redone so I can plop the 150G there...

If money (and wife's anger) weren't a concern, I have this fantasy of of building an outdoor tank that would span the floor to ceiling windows that run the length my master bed....so when I wake up, I see nothing but reef and fish.

So that wound translate to about 12' x 16' x however deep. :D

gallon-auarium-bed-1.jpg

Something I have wondered about huge aquariums: Why don't they build the aquarium and stand all as one integrated piece?

You have all that metal down there that can be used as bracing for bottom of main faces, instead of relying on a little bead of silicone.
No concerns about stand/aquarium being slightly off.
Heavier, but I would argue easier to deal with for shipping and movement. You can even mount wheels.
Thermal expansion of glass and iron are both around 10, so fine.

Something I have wondered about huge aquariums: Why don't they build the aquarium and stand all as one integrated piece?

You have all that metal down there that can be used as bracing for bottom of main faces, instead of relying on a little bead of silicone.
No concerns about stand/aquarium being slightly off.
Heavier, but I would argue easier to deal with for shipping and movement. You can even mount wheels.
Thermal expansion of glass and iron are both around 10, so fine.
My dad had mentally designed a large tank that used stainless steel angle iron around the perimeter. The glass would then be siliconed to the steel and each other. The silicone would provide the waterproofing but the steel would provide the strength.

My dad had mentally designed a large tank that used stainless steel angle iron around the perimeter. The glass would then be siliconed to the steel and each other. The silicone would provide the waterproofing but the steel would provide the strength.
Funny, in some of my delusional tank idea/plannings I was going through where "I can build my own tank out of glass" I thought about basically doing the exact same thing, where the angle iron is actually welded to the stand and provides the stability around the bottom of the tank so you don't have do that silly eurobracing on the inside bottom of the tank that a lot of manufacturers do.

Maybe there's something to this idea :D

I've had my dream tank. 92G corner and 60x30x18 flat. I wish I had had a few more years with the final setup and the experience to really grow serious coral and enjoy the fish after finally getting everything dialed in. Oh well, I really enjoyed it while I had it!

Back